Lorex dvr loud fan fix - $5.59

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Price now $4.93
If your Lorex dvr/ nvr fan matches the 5V first picture
lorex1.jpg
you can replace it with this 12V fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OFL1J8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Remove the integral fan with the 3 tiny screws between the blades. Be sure to remove the old fan. Most people will need to buy a small enough philips screwdriver to remove these screws. For the wire connections (just black and red) either splice in the colors to the old connector or realign the pins in the new fan as shown which ever you desire. I used screws for my accessory box, I believe they are 1440 machine screws.
I did this in July 2015 for 2 of my son's systems and it cools well and is very quiet.
IMG_2419.JPGIMG_2420.JPG

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice fix. I'd be tempted to install a taller copper heatsink with no fan on it.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Of course you can't get quieter than no fan at all. This fan can be installed without removing the board which some people might not want to do and I couldn't find a readily available heat sink replacement that fit.
Both fan plugs on the board are 5V. This fan (ball bearing) is 12V but still starts, runs slower, and is very quiet. There were several integrally mounted fans that I tried as cheap as 3.49, but they were all 12V fans that would not start reliably with the 5v. The Noctua (known for quiet) fans at 5V and 12V are about $14 on Amazon.

Jim

entgegnen

n3wb
Reaction score
Great Pictures. One question - can you say with Lorex NVR this was? I just got an 8081. While I got the system up and running, and I am really pleased with the cameras, etc., I am a bit puzzled by the noise from the NVR... so in doing a few google searches I came across your post. I figured I would ask what model number you were working on before I take mine apart...

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cover comes off easily on mine and yours looks very similar so see what you have. Your 8081 does appear to have an internal power supply with it's own fan so see which fan is noisy.
My DVR is a Lorex model LHV2000 with an external power brick supply. It is an analog model from the Costco/ lorex system LHV828. The pictured fan is evidently used in many DVRs and NVRs by many companies. If the fan inside your unit looks similar and the voltage is 5V to this fan and any other fan headers, each header can run the fan shown. I do not have an internal power supply to check that fan, but it also looks to be a 40mm X 40mm fan. Just check the voltage.
My DVR had an extra 5v fan header and room to attach these 40mm X 40mm fans at vents on either side of the case if additional circulation is desired.

entgegnen

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I figured I should post and say thanks for the guidance. I took a good look at my Lorex 8081 NVR and identified that nearly all of the noise (and it is an unreasonable amount of noise) is coming from the "Delta" power supply. (Specifically, a Delta PBS-200PB 185B). It seems to have a Delta brand cooling fan (EFB0412HHD) that from the specs I have found on-line, has a regular noise level of 30.5 db! (Way too much for an in-home office application). But as suggested above, I found some good alternatives that still push 8 cfm +/- of air. Now that it is in a closed door cabinet, it is barely audible. It does leave me wondering why the power-supply is constructed in the manner it is... (e.g. why have a self-contained box will little ventilation that is already in the self-contained NVR box? Seems more like a way to trap heat - not dissipate heat. I wonder if they had just made an "open" configuration and perhaps just used two ultra quiet fans blowing the heat out the side of the NVR if it wouldn't have been a better set up. As it stands, there was tons of empty room in the NVR box....
Insides of the NVR.jpgPower Supply.jpgLoud Power Supply Fan.jpg

Attachments

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Price now $4.93
View attachment 6864
you can replace it with this 12V fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OFL1J8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Remove the integral fan with the 3 tiny screws between the blades. Be sure to remove the old fan. Most people will need to buy a small enough philips screwdriver to remove these screws. For the wire connections (just black and red) either splice in the colors to the old connector or realign the pins in the new fan as shown which ever you desire. I used screws for my accessory box, I believe they are 1440 machine screws.
I did this in July 2015 for 2 of my son's systems and it cools well and is very quiet.
View attachment 6865View attachment 6863

Jim
Has anyone found a stock fan replacement for this nvr? I have a similar size heatsink and fan and cannot find a replacement in case I do not want to mount like the OP but I will if I have to.

Last edited:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@xgsound do you have photos of the screws or maybe a link to the screw size on homedepot.com?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
never mind I think they are just 10/32 machine screws

crawndo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! The fan in my Lorex DVR started sounding like someone was dying and needed to be replaced. This article came in handy.

Reaction score
Price now $4.93
View attachment 6864
you can replace it with this 12V fan. Amazon.com: CASE FAN, 40X40X10MM, BALL BEARING, 3-PIN: Computers & Accessories

Jim
Thank You Thank You. Saved me 500 bucks.

Alex J.

n3wb
Reaction score
Price now $4.93
View attachment 6864
you can replace it with this 12V fan. Amazon.com: CASE FAN, 40X40X10MM, BALL BEARING, 3-PIN: Computers & Accessories

Jim
Wow this works good i just don't know what to do with the yellow wire does anyone know what it's for?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do nothing with the yellow wire., connect it to nothing or tape it off. I'm not sure, but I believe it is for speed sensing.

You can add a second fan to exhaust air to the other connector on the board if desired, but not necessary.

Luch

n3wb
Reaction score
xgsound: Thank you so much for posting this! I used this tutorial to fix my Lorex LHV2008 DVR. The fan was so loud that I was going to rip my hair out!

If you can't find the machine screws mentioned, I had success using short wood screws to attach the fan.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great news, that's exactly why I posted pictures. A $5 fix is hard to pass up and the Lorex 1080P system works quietly after the fan (fails often) is replaced.
If you want to zoom any of the cameras 2X or 4X, see Costco 1080p over coax Lorex ?zoom posts 7 and 8 for fixes of $10 each.

Jim

Reaction score
So happy I found this thread...even happier that xgsound decided to put it together. Thank you!

I ended up buying the Noctua fan from Amazon... mainly because it would arrive pretty quickly with amazon prime.... I didn't use any screws like the above posts, because I didn't have any that would fit properly, so, I just used zip ties, and tied the fan to the heatsink.

The DVR is back to operating normal, and much cooler!

Thanks again xgsound!!!

Reaction score
Price now $4.93
View attachment 6864

Jim
First, thank you for this post. I have the Lorex LHV2000 series and I replaced my fan with this 12V fan from amazon but the fan does not start reliably. Any suggestions? Do I need to go back to a 5V fan?

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could the wires be backwards ?
Here is a 5V fan that others have used. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooling-Bearing-NF-A4X10-FLX-5V/dp/B00NEMGCIA/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NEMGCIA&pd_rd_r=254XV1GJN1R97FX016SA&pd_rd_w=OK05Y&pd_rd_wg=RG69G&psc=1&refRID=254XV1GJN1R97FX016SA
I checked that the fans started dependably on power up as soon as I installed them. I tried 5 different (total $30) fans, some like the original. The one I listed worked every time for me. It was also the quietest.
You could try another or order the Noctura 5V fan linked above. Test whatever you get repeatedly for power on start before going into service because repeated overheat could/ will destroy the system.

It's amazing to me that so many people (and Lorex) complained about the $5 fan on an otherwise excellent 1080P $500 system and never thought to replace it. I even found that replacing the $6 lenses gets up to 4X fixed zoom. Costco 1080p over coax Lorex ?zoom

Last edited: