Lorex LNB8973 Without NVR

cjdutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I have purchased a Lorex LNB8973 PoE IP Camera and would like to view it using a web browser (on a smart television) rather than a NVR. Recording is not required, but I would like to operate the optical zoom, if possible. Lorex, I believe, say that it must use a NVR, whereas members on this site say that Lorex cameras can be viewed on a web browser using the appropriate software to identify the fixed IP address. Would anyone be able to clarify this for me and point me in the direction of software, etc., that might help. Thanks very much, Chris.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. I have purchased a Lorex LNB8973 PoE IP Camera and would like to view it using a web browser (on a smart television) rather than a NVR. Recording is not required, but I would like to operate the optical zoom, if possible. Lorex, I believe, say that it must use a NVR, whereas members on this site say that Lorex cameras can be viewed on a web browser using the appropriate software to identify the fixed IP address. Would anyone be able to clarify this for me and point me in the direction of software, etc., that might help. Thanks very much, Chris.
Welcome Chris,

That Lorex "4K"/8MP appears similar to the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW58xx cameras.
4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal 4x Optical Zoom Zoom IP Camera, 250ft Night Vision

Seeing that there is a door on the image - you should check and see if this model retains the microSD card which the Dahua OEM version has.

If so, get a microSD card for on-camera storage.

For software look for the Dahua software downloads, and find one which will work with the platform you plan to use. ( lorex modifies what Dahua OEM provides )

Example:
SmartPSS – Dahua North America

Addition SW:
Software/Dahua Toolbox - Dahua Wiki

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt the basic browser on a Smart TV will work for this application. Usually cams like this require a plug-in to work, which won't be available for the TV.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if this worked. Others may be able to confirm/deny. Easiest thing would be to just try it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed - you can use the camera with a web browser just fine but you need to be able to install a plugin which is highly unlikely that you will be able to do on the TV's built in browser. I'm doubting this will be workable in that way you want.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Whichever one your camera requires. A browser such as IE will ask to download and install the plug-in. In my experience IE tends to work better than chrome or Firefox for this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes - the plugin is actually stored in the camera firmware for Internet Explorer 11 and it will prompt you to install it when you first connect. For Chrome it is a bit fiddly but there is some plugin available as an add-on that you can install in some manner.