Lorex LNR360 NVR with Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P firmware

junglebell

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to see if someone has successfully flashed a Lorex unit with the Hikvision firmware and has some insights into the process and correct firmware version.

The NVR is a Lorex LNR360 .. from specs it seems same as Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P, however I am not quite sure.

I even tried to telnet into the NVR to get exact hardware version, but none of default/login passwords worked using either root or admin account.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't, but have been looking into doing so. I'm actually starting with attempting to flash the IP cams that came with it, MCNB2153. I did recently get the root password for the cams and can now telnet into them, haven't tried to telent to the NVR yet, but I did get the password from the NVR firmware. All attempts to flash the cams using the web interface to the cameras has been unsuccessful so far, and unfortunately I get no feedback as to why it fails. Now that I can telnet into them I can hopefully resolve why.

junglebell

n3wb
Reaction score
That's great testguy .. just curious how were you able to get the telnet passwords? I have been unsuccessful so far!

Keep us in the loop with your progress -- good luck!

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded the firmware for the NVR off the lorex site and pulled it apart with a program called binwalk. I found the root password embedded I one of the files that was extracted. I was quite shocked to find a pain text password buried inside one of the binaries. Last evening I logged into the NVR as root, both telnet and ftp services are running.

That's great testguy .. just curious how were you able to get the telnet passwords? I have been unsuccessful so far!

Keep us in the loop with your progress -- good luck!

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are still interested in doing this, I have successfully flashed my LNR340 with the latest hikvision firmware, DS-76XXNI-SE(P) v2.3.11, and have been able to get the POE ports on the back working as well. The easiest way to connect the cameras is by going through a poe switch on your local network, as getting the built in poe ports on the NVR working was the most difficult.
I used hikvison tftp to update the firmware on the NVR, as well as on the cameras. Currently I have the raptor series firmware( DS-2x12,2x32 v5.3) running on the cameras. I used tftp for the initial camera firmware upgrade and was then able to use a browser for subsequent updates.
I just tried this last night so I haven't played around with to much, but I'm more impressed with the IP camera updates, specifically the line crossing detection, than I have been with the NVR firmware. The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade the nvr was to allow for 3mp recording setup. Previously I had to set this up on the camera directly, and sometimes when I logged into the nvr to look at things the resolution would get reset back to 1080.

I downloaded the firmware for the NVR off the lorex site and pulled it apart with a program called binwalk. I found the root password embedded I one of the files that was extracted. I was quite shocked to find a pain text password buried inside one of the binaries. Last evening I logged into the NVR as root, both telnet and ftp services are running.

Reaction score
If you are still interested in doing this, I have successfully flashed my LNR340 with the latest hikvision firmware, DS-76XXNI-SE(P) v2.3.11, and have been able to get the POE ports on the back working as well. The easiest way to connect the cameras is by going through a poe switch on your local network, as getting the built in poe ports on the NVR working was the most difficult.
I used hikvison tftp to update the firmware on the NVR, as well as on the cameras. Currently I have the raptor series firmware( DS-2x12,2x32 v5.3) running on the cameras. I used tftp for the initial camera firmware upgrade and was then able to use a browser for subsequent updates.
I just tried this last night so I haven't played around with to much, but I'm more impressed with the IP camera updates, specifically the line crossing detection, than I have been with the NVR firmware. The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade the nvr was to allow for 3mp recording setup. Previously I had to set this up on the camera directly, and sometimes when I logged into the nvr to look at things the resolution would get reset back to 1080.
I'm interested. Can you help me do this?

Altivec

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm interested too, Testguy. Can't private message yet as I'm too new here. I've got a Lorex LNR380.

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi testguy,
I know my question have nothing to do with what are you currently talking about, but I am really desperate. I have LNR380, purchased in Costco few years ago. It was working good, even though Lorex suck with firmware updates or any kind of updates and support period.
I would like to know, if you or anyone else has this or have/had this sending alerting motion detection emails. I am trying to resolve this for few weeks now, Lorex now Flir I guess, ins't helping much. Giving me the runaround. I even created another not gmail email account to test, and I still get test failed when I want to test the outgoing email in the LNR380.
Any idea, what may cause this puzzling for me behavior? Because without the email alerts the system is pretty much 50% not useful. Please help or point me to the right direction, I will greatly appreciate the gesture of your help.
Thank you!!!

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for not replying to the requests for help, but flashing the firmware may end up being difficult for me to help out with if you run into problems. The actual procedure was not difficult, I simply used a hikvision tftp program to upload/install the OEM hikvision firmware to the cameras and nvr.

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, at this point I do not know what to do next with the NVR. I appreciate the help and time you took to reply.

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not able to send private messages so I'm going to reply here regarding your email problems.

I am just as frustrated as you were, but unfortunately there aren't any firmware updates that would help out with this situation, at least as far as I know. I have had the same issues trying to send smtp messages from the cameras. I believe I first noticed this sometime in june, it resolved itself for a while, and I again am having the same issues with email. I believe it is something to do with changes on the gmail end of things, I had read that they had dropped support for ssl encryption used by the hikvision/lorex cameras, and will be requiring TLS for now on. I have another brand of camera as well, and these continue to work without a problem.

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tested another email providers? I tried GMX but same problem. Does all email providers now require TLS? I did also tested Lorex mysmtp.Lorexddns.net, but no luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, at this point I do not know what to do next with the NVR. I appreciate the help and time you took to reply.
If you purchased from costco, you can return it anytime. The newer lorex NVR's are made by dahua which seems to support tls.

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
You think that Costco will accept return of system which at least I think 3 years old?

testguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I did try a few others as well, but with no luck. It's unfortunate that lorex can't provide you with some help and figure this out. I did a search and did find that Hikvision is aware of this issue. The link below talks about a firmware upgrade released for the european versions that supports tls, and also talks about how you can setup your NVR to get around the problem. Not sure if it works, but it's worth taking a look at.

http://www.forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/solved-hikvision-gmail-failure.775/

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Well...talked to Lorex support, I do not even know how to describe their arrogance of this situation. Class action lawsuit would be probably the only way which will make them to wake up. I have sent them the article about Hikvision and their response was ridiculous. They didn't even admit that the issue is on their end because they wont keep up with their updates for their product. Still don't if I should try the Hikvision or not, because this system is 2 years old and if the Hikvision install go wrong then I can throw that box out of the window. :-/

Altivec

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the Hikvision firmware updates this week on my LNR380. Took it all the way to 3.0.15 from the European Hikvision site. No help with email notifications from the firmware update.

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Just read your message. So, I called Lorex just before my lunch break. They answered and said, give us your phone# and someone will call you back in 5 minutes. I was ok, lets do it. Indeed someone called me just about 5 min after I have talked to the last person from Lorex. The customer rep was female, pretty much we reset password, setup 2 step gmail verification (no use) reset to default on the NVR380 (no use)....I, before her have done pretty much all you can think of (no firmware update or upgrade, there is none anyway for this model). So, she only helped with the gmail two step setup which did not helped at all.
Now, she asked for full remote access to my NVR, so I gave it to her. But....after I created another user account on the NVR, I asked....let say this will not work or you are unable to fix this issue, would your company exchange the NVR380 for either working model or upgrade me to NVR400 which has the SSL and TLS as well setting. My NVR is pretty much useless without the email alerts (I guess useless to anyone with this issue as well), I am not going search or watch the whole day recording and look for someone trespassing or doing some other malicious stuff on my property. The system is 2 years old, Lorex has only 1 year warranty for this model. She said she will look into it. I know she has no saying just because this girl sits behind the PC all day long and takes heat from people. But, at least she can or could bring this up to management.
Other then that....I have to wait when they will fix this mess. I thought the Hikvision would work....bummer sigh....disappointed to hear that. That was my another step.
Let me know, if you by any chance have success in this problem.
Thank you!

Desperate

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, update....
Lorex called and said I need to contact my ISP to open ports 2525, 465 and 587.
I feel very very frustrated with their approach!