Lorex N842 and external hard drive

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
I want more storage for my NVR without any complicated setup, so I purchased a 6TB Western Digital MyBook, thinking I could set up automated backups to it. However, when I plug it in and go to backup configuration it shows the external HD as present, but with 0.00kb free/0.00kb total. If I try to format the drive, it says no disk is present.

Can anyone help with figuring out why this isn't working please?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless it is different with your NVR, mine did not do it automatically and you have to go in and manually select video to move and it was a pain because you would have to remember to do it. Best bet is to put in a larger drive..

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless it is different with your NVR, mine did not do it automatically and you have to go in and manually select video to move and it was a pain because you would have to remember to do it. Best bet is to put in a larger drive..
It doesn't have an automated backup feature? That is surprising and disappointing. OK, so that sounds like it's out as an option. Any idea why it's not recognizing the external hard drive properly?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You said it recognizes it - see if you can manually export a clip to it.

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried that, but it says there's no disk present. That's what's confusing me. It recognizes there's a disk plugged in, but it shows 0kb/0kb free/total, and if I try to format the disk, it says there's no disk present.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the drive have external power to it? The NVR may not be supplying enough power to actually operated the external drive.

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
when I plug it in and go to backup configuration it shows the external HD as present, but with 0.00kb free/0.00kb total. If I try to format the drive, it says no disk is present.

slickcam

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I'll try that and reply back
Did it work; I have the same problem 0 bytes / 0 bytes, I mean exact same one. Then I tried with passport drive (this one does not have it's own power source) for the passport it says 0 bytes available out of 3 TB

Terranq

n3wb
Reaction score
Did it work; I have the same problem 0 bytes / 0 bytes, I mean exact same one. Then I tried with passport drive (this one does not have it's own power source) for the passport it says 0 bytes available out of 3 TB
Never did get the external drive to work. I ended up installing a 6TB internal drive and then ran into another problem-you're unable to review more than 30 days of recordings.

slickcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Never did get the external drive to work. I ended up installing a 6TB internal drive and then ran into another problem-you're unable to review more than 30 days of recordings.
Thanks for responding; after a week of trying I am still struck with not able to backup to the external HD.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless it has changed, you can only backup to an external drive selected clips not an entire drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There could be some shenanigans going on with the WD device and how the drive interacts with the WD circuitry. It's not like your directly connected via SATA,