Lorex Smart Kit (Costco)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello. I visited Costco today and they have a new kit on offer, says it's compatible with Alexa and has a white smart NVR. I currently have a mix of 2 Lorex sets, one I bought 9 months ago which has smart deterrence and one I bought about 2 years ago with a more square body, nothing smart but all 4K kits. I was wondering if to upgrade to the kit I have seen today. Has anyone got the new kit and had either of the older kits I mention to advise if it would be a upgrade \ worth getting ? I never use the lorex app as always been rubbish. I use gdmss instead. I also always swap out the HDD for 6tb also. New kit has model no TN81828B8 on it.

Reaction score
So that system has the E891AB cams that are 4K (8MP) on a 1/1.8" sensor and the lens is a 2.8mm F1.6 fixed.

This will give you a wide FOV. As far as getting a face shot for ID, the perp would have to be quite close to the cam. The FOV is great for an overview cam, but getting all cams the same does not yield a fit-for-purpose installation.

The 8MP on a 1/1.8" lens will never give you the night performance of the current go to cam in the Dahua prosumer line, which is the 5442 series. They are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. So your Lorex cam will get about half the light per pixel as the 5442. So to get a comparable night image to the 5442 you would need twice the light.

This setup has some nice features such as two way audio, lights and siren, and can be viewed through Apple TV. But I have no idea if any of those really work.

I am not a fan of kits. I am a fan of fit-for-purpose cam selection. I really think one needs to buy a cam that can do the job as you have defined for a specific position. I would find it hard to believe that all of the positions at your home would require a 2.8mm bullet cam with 2-way audio and siren. I currently have 21 cams spread out over 11 models. Each model was picked for it's features as they fit with the requirements that I made for the position/view/job it was to perform.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - please search for Lorex Costco in the title - we've got a number of threads on the new kit.

Last I checked the new kit has cameras which have smaller sensors ( 2020 kit ) ...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Samplenhold.

You are correct in assuming I have no need for 8 cameras that can all have talk back function. I have 3 in my current setup with all 3 being inside and a requirement of a 4th maybe as I already have a Ring doorbell in the area. So no big issue if camera does not. The biggest selling point was the smart features to me, enabling me to view the footage on a Amazon device with a screen or similar. But again not essential as could just view on my phone. The current Lorex set I have being about 2 years old has never let me down but I notice what I call goasting on people moving past the property in the night and this I believe is a serious issue as that's when you need cameras working at the best. So I was thinking this set may behave better at night ?. I do own a Dahua Varifocal Optical 2MB Starlight camera and it is excellent when it's working but unfortunately it gets misted up alot since only about 8 months old and this is despite me opening it, drying it and sealing it up to the best of my ability ability several times. I have never had such issues with any other cameras. I do like buying from Costco due to their excellent returns policy on most items and they have offered to give me back the the money for my old Costco set due to the goasting, hence why I was wondering if the new set performs better ? I believe as I am in UK, my choices are limited if I want a good set from a supplier with a good returns policy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. I believe as I am in UK, my choices are limited if I want a good set from a supplier with a good returns policy.

Hi @Night-Owl

In the USA there is a newer kit than this.. that has the smaller sensor cameras. ( thus I don't like that step back Lorex took in the USA )

As you are in the UK looks like this kit is available, as @samplenhold notes
"So that system has the E891AB cams that are 4K (8MP) on a 1/1.8" sensor and the lens is a 2.8mm F1.6 fixed. "

Thus those cameras imho are better than the cameras now in the USA Costco Lorex kit.

Remember you can swap out 1-2 cameras with a Dahua OEM 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera to get better low light coverage for a critical FOV or 2.

1603053436746.png

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Matt, yes the above is what is on offer in UK at the moment, hopefully offer did not end today. Would this be better than the LNB8005 cameras I have at the moment as Costco are offering a refund on these so I need to know if it's worth swapping them out or not. Personally I like the old square look better but if the newer cameras will give me better non goasting night images and upgrade to a smart system system so might be able to get some IFTTT working, it would be worth it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Matt, yes the above is what is on offer in UK at the moment, hopefully offer did not end today. Would this be better than the LNB8005 cameras I have at the moment as Costco are offering a refund on these so I need to know if it's worth swapping them out or not. Personally I like the old square look better but if the newer cameras will give me better non goasting night images and upgrade to a smart system system so might be able to get some IFTTT working, it would be worth it.
Yes these cameras will out perform the older LNB8005 models

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi All, I thought I would give a quick update, I returned the old set and picked up the new set as above. Fully installed in a couple of hrs due to only having to swap out the cameras as the cabling was mine. Initial impressions are average at best. The picture looks clearer and is staying in colour mode with only minimal lights i.e porch light. The field of vision is greater both width and length in the dark. However I normally keep the cameras in 5mb mode with 25 frames a second to handle the cars that go past in an attempt to minimise blurring. The new cameras don't even go to 20 frames per second until you reduce mb down to 4mb :(. The integration features seem none existent in UK, i.e it advises to download the lorex home smart skill from alaza skills which does not seem available in UK, basically making this whole feature unavailable which seems to be false advertising to me, as I clearly bought it in the UK. The initial start up is also appalling, making you go through many useless steps which are only applicable if using its built in switch, if not, you have to set up manually as per the last 2 Lorex systems I have had. Funnily it also tries to make you name cameras etc to allow Alexa Commands but as above, no Alexa App = No Integration Features. I can only comment with an Alexa integration though. I hope this update gives you a guide as to he pros and cons, expecially if in UK. I installed in the dark, so tomorrow in the light I expect pictures even better.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..However I normally keep the cameras in 5mb mode with 25 frames a second to handle the cars that go past in an attempt to minimise blurring. ..
Hi @Night-Owl

I'd keep those cameras in 8MP mode, as reducing the resolution you're losing some of the value of that sensor.

This is what I would do:
Replace one camera with on of those Dahua OEM 4mp 1/1.8" cameras to capture what you are looking for on moving cars.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, sounds a good idea as it's only one camera I would need to pick up fast moving objects. Perhaps a nice optical one, just in case I need some zooming in. Which one would you advise ?. I do have to replace the rear camera with huge optical zoom also as it is misting up again, so perhaps a recommendation on this please, back one must be able to zoom in to something about 60 metres away.

Reaction score
However I normally keep the cameras in 5mb mode with 25 frames a second to handle the cars that go past in an attempt to minimise blurring.
FPS will not solve motion blur. That is solved by setting a fast shutter speed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, sounds a good idea as it's only one camera I would need to pick up fast moving objects. Perhaps a nice optical one, just in case I need some zooming in. Which one would you advise ?. I do have to replace the rear camera with huge optical zoom also as it is misting up again, so perhaps a recommendation on this please, back one must be able to zoom in to something about 60 metres away.
Check @SouthernYankee cheat sheet to narrow down models.

You'll be able to better tune the camera settings ( as Samplenhold notes ) to get good quality image captures in lower light conditions.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend starting with the one variable focus IPC-HDW5442t-ZE. If you are going to use an NVR, Get an NVR from the same manufacture as the cameras, do not mix vendors on the NVR, you may loose features.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Mat200 and SouthernYankee, yes I have used Andy before for my current Varifocal Starlight the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E I will take a look today against above recommendations to find one that matches or exceeds this one. Also I will try changing the Lorex ones to reduce goasting, tried late last night but as soon as I switch to 1/30 even the picture is extremely dark. So I will probably need to but a infra red floodlight to sort that as cannot use a normal floodlight being my house faces a street and a road. From quick look and wanting a bullet, I should be looking at the IPC-B5442E-ZE as a direct replacement should I ?.

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update, ordered a ipc-B5442E-Z4E from Andy today to replace the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E. Also looking at getting a NVR that can handle up to 16 x 4K Cameras, as we are maxed out at 8 at the moment and could potentially do with a couple more cameras that we have already but no NVR to handle them. Andy has advised a INVR5216-16P-4KS2E so I will get saving. I also contacted Lorex and pointed out a few issues I am seeing with the Lorex E891AB cameras, with the worst being the appalling mounting solution which means you cannot fit them to a wall and have them pointing down and to the left or right, they will only go left or right or up and down depending on way of rotation, not both. If you fit them to a soffit etc though, this issue goes away but then they would be way to high. If anyone buys this kit, do beware of this. I did get a response though implying my concerns had been acknowledged and would be taken into consideration with future products, so hopefully this solution won't be used again. Thank you all for your help.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought I would update this thread with an observation. I have access to 3 Costco Kits and it seems colour night vision has improved year on year. Personally I think build quality has got worse, mainly because I hate the fact new cameras seem to have a clear or black plastic as a cover around the lense and you simply cannot wipe it clean with anything without scratching it, considering wiping the lense and surrounding area is something I would consider as maintenance, you should be able to clean it without scratching it :). I am told the cover directly in front of lense is glass with surrounding i.e where IR lights are, being plastic. I note the same on the ipc-B5442E-Z4E though, so perhaps people are not as fussy as me or do not note the scratching that occurs when you wipe the area. On a positive I enclose picture of colour night vision on standard settings for the E891 AB's with the only support being a porch light a street lights seen in the picture. This is vastly superior to the LNB8005's as I have also enclosed a picture from. So as usual @mat200 was spot on when he advised 'Yes these cameras will out perform the older LNB8005 models', thank you Mat200.

Attachments

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This setup has some nice features such as two way audio, lights and siren
Any idea how to access these via the API? I've done basic things like changing the mode via the API. I'd like to be able to turn on all the lights or sirens from a script. The audio would be great if I could play a wav file through it. I've read through the dahua http api but not sure how these features are mapped or accessed.

I have not flashed the firmware on the cameras and not sure if anyone has successfully. Lorex hasn't published updated firmware for either the NVR or the cameras.