Lost capability by using POE?

Hamhound

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum and technology and getting feet wet. Read here that I may lose come capability to use cameras like the IPC-HDW5231R-Z if I use POE to run a Dahua camera. Specifically, the zoom function. Can anyone point to a discussion on the trade offs of POE or using a POE switch. I could go either way but assumed POE was the elegant approach.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know what you have read but what you say isn't true. All POE will do is power the camera and supply data if connected to a POE switch.

Also there is no zoom feature with this camera... It has adjustable lense from between 3.6mm to 12mm which can be changed within the camera interface.

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
There are quite a few of these listed with a motorised lens. I have the ipc-hdbw4431r-zs which is a Chinese camera with English language on it. The zoom feature can be used from the camera Web interface, the nvr interface(if using an nvr) or even from your Android mobile apps. I am having issues with my cameras ip addresses not staying on static, but other than that the camera is brilliant and the zoom feature fantastic. Only really used it during setup, got my zoom and focal points right and don't really change the zoom now.. But if I wanted to... 2 clicks and done.

Don't forget with a motorised zoom only, no left right up down movement. Just zoom in or out.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are quite a few of these listed with a motorised lens. I have the ipc-hdbw4431r-zs which is a Chinese camera with English language on it. The zoom feature can be used from the camera Web interface, the nvr interface(if using an nvr) or even from your Android mobile apps. I am having issues with my cameras ip addresses not staying on static, but other than that the camera is brilliant and the zoom feature fantastic. Only really used it during setup, got my zoom and focal points right and don't really change the zoom now.. But if I wanted to... 2 clicks and done.

Don't forget with a motorised zoom only, no left right up down movement. Just zoom in or out.

Problem is, it's not really a zoom feature, it's a adjustment feature to set your focal point to the desired point and leave it. It shouldn't really be used to zoom in and out as I'm sure that will put unnecessary stress of the motor. The zoom on these cameras is a digital 16x zoom, which is a software zoom.

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
Problem is, it's not really a zoom feature, it's a adjustment feature to set your focal point to the desired point and leave it. It shouldn't really be used to zoom in and out as I'm sure that will put unnecessary stress of the motor. The zoom on these cameras is a digital 16x zoom, which is a software zoom.
Ah... No. It's actually a motorised zoom on my camera lens. Not digital. The lens is adjusted by the motor. Then there is digital zoom on top of that.

The camera the OP is talking about has versions listed on aliexpress which has this motorised zoom also.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah... No. It's actually a motorised zoom on my camera lens. Not digital. The lens is adjusted by the motor. Then there is digital zoom on top of that.

The camera the OP is talking about has versions listed on aliexpress which has this motorised zoom also.

I am aware of the fact it's a motorised lens, My point was it's not really to be used to zoom in and out as you would with a PTZ. Like I said it would be used to set and forget. As for my comment on the digital zoom I was referring to the fact in the camera interface or by using the scroll button on your mouse (software depending) you can digitally zoom in and out. As you can with most cameras.

Hamhound

n3wb
Reaction score
I am aware of the fact it's a motorised lens, My point was it's not really to be used to zoom in and out as you would with a PTZ. Like I said it would be used to set and forget. As for my comment on the digital zoom I was referring to the fact in the camera interface or by using the scroll button on your mouse (software depending) you can digitally zoom in and out. As you can with most cameras.
The replies from all are clear and appreciated.
I likely only need to change the lens 'zoom' occasionally, not as a regular feature. I assumed that a motorized feature enabled the ability to change the setting anytime from anywhere. I do not need PTZ so it seems like I need not really be concerned about the motorized feature beyond the initial setup which is to look at a driveway gate about 90' away.

Hamhound

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know what you have read but what you say isn't true. All POE will do is power the camera and supply data if connected to a POE switch.

Also there is no zoom feature with this camera... It has adjustable lense from between 3.6mm to 12mm which can be changed within the camera interface.
What I saw was from Giomania in an excellent long post and I wante dto understand why POE seems to limit comms with the camera:
"A PoE NVR is a simple plug-n-play setup, but is also less flexible and harder to work with. Some of the Dahua PoE NVR limitations are: No virtual hosts, no direct way to connect to the cameras, some camera setup options are not accessible like, zoom level, local Micro SD card, advanced exposure settings, etc., and the inability to use NTP timesync. In short, a non-PoE NVR is best for tweakers."
Link to the post: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What I saw was from Giomania in an excellent long post and I wante dto understand why POE seems to limit comms with the camera:
"A PoE NVR is a simple plug-n-play setup, but is also less flexible and harder to work with. Some of the Dahua PoE NVR limitations are: No virtual hosts, no direct way to connect to the cameras, some camera setup options are not accessible like, zoom level, local Micro SD card, advanced exposure settings, etc., and the inability to use NTP timesync. In short, a non-PoE NVR is best for tweakers."
That is specific to using the built in dahua Poe in the nvr..it's would not be true with a Poe switch...

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
"A PoE NVR is a simple plug-n-play setup, but is also less flexible and harder to work with. Some of the Dahua PoE NVR limitations are: No virtual hosts, no direct way to connect to the cameras,
It is now possible with the newest firmware for some NVR:
Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

some camera setup options are not accessible like, zoom level, local Micro SD card, advanced exposure settings, etc., and the inability to use NTP timesync.
My NVR certainly has NTP timesync, and it seems to time sync with all the cameras automatically.

In short, a non-PoE NVR is best for tweakers."
I don't see this as a major consideration factor any more now with the link to individual camera interface from NVR Web service. Even if your NVR's firmware does not have this feature, you can still easily access each camera interface using this method:
Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

DATS2LS

n3wb
Reaction score
Nvr: Nvr5216-16p-4ks2
Cam: ipc-hdbw4431r-zs

So with regards to what u can access from the nvr menus only.

Zoom no problem.
Image enhancement no problem. Can access via main view page or main menu, camera, image.
U can set the encode rates also.

With the 16 port peo nvr, I plug an unused poe port on the nvr into my network router.
This way, I can detect camera ips etc with config tools on my pc as is without change in ip address.
To directly talk to the camera however, I need to change the PC's ipv4 info. (from my usual lan subnet to the dahua cameras subnet) 10.1.1.xxx). Then I can access the ip cameras directly.

Please see pics, hope that helps.

Please note this is the latest firmware on the nvr.