Lovely Neighbor

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
@jd415 Quite opposite to what you have stated the white car should have waited for the road to clear before he decided to pull onto the road. Is it not illegal to reverse onto a main road in LA? it sure is here in UK. I do agree he was a little heavy handed on the horn and can't comment on his speed as I do not know the speed limit on your road.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the video, an figured it was either the north east US or California , with that type of horn honk. When i first move from NYC to Houston I commented to one of my Texas associates how almost no honked horns. He laughed, the normal response to a horn honk in Texas is gun fire. It was explained to me that more than 25% of the cars are armed. So you must show good polite manners.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The white car was backing, so should have gave way, but the SUV was a total jerk.

If that was around here, the white car would have taken at least 60 seconds to clear the road ( see 25% above )

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It appears to me this is a high density neighborhood, most likely 25mph speed limit and by the looks, the grey suv was going much faster than 25. If the road is flat (no slight hill, etc), then the white car most likely didn't double-check for traffic.

Haven't been to NYC since the 80's, but back then, honking will get you the finger and bunch of choice words, no guns involved. People had thicker skins back then.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Honking in NYC is commonplace (sadly). Lots of noise pollution. You hear a horn every minute in busy intersections like Times Square.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The driver in the silver SUV had right of way. The driver in the reversing white car should have stopped before entering the roadway. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to go back to driver's ed school. Period.
Also, the title of the video "Impatient Driver Honking Horn For No Reason" is wrong; if he had not quickly stopped, there would have been a collision. I think that after adverting certain disaster is a perfect time to sound the horn. If you listen closely, you can hear his tires slip briefly he braked so hard. Definintely not "no reason". I think someone has been watching too much CNN recently and getting brainwashed to the point that right is wrong and wrong is right and what happened didn't happen!

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me the annoying part is that the SUV driver honked his horn for 5 seconds longer than he had to. The white car had already stopped. This is a residential street so no need to disturb the neighbors more.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighbors do the same thing; both the hubby and wife pulls in and pulls out without waiting for traffic to clear. I see it all the time. What's worse is that depending on the width of the road, the odds of getting rear ended are high especially when you factor in the shear stupidity of other drivers speeding down the road (in-spite of speed cameras put in place) and neighbors not looking both ways before coming in and backing out. I've seen them almost hitting a pedestrian walking his & her dog at one point (as they were backing out). :facepalm: Its common sense to put your car along side the curb to let traffic pass, then signal to pull out of the curb and into the driveway. Its also common sense to yield to pedestrians (as well as any cars within a minimum 500ft distance) before pulling out. I guess not. They're so spoiled they hired a maid to do their house cleaning paying dirt cheap labor. I've never seen them wipe their @$$es. Definitely first world problems. No driver is going to be considerate especially when you have to factor their egos and lack of morals which takes precedence. In Asia where the population is almost 10x fold, you'll notice that people cooperate with one another almost majority of the time; quite remarkably far fewer accidents than in the states. The only place in the states where you'll likely find cooperative drivers would be in the rural / suburban (not semi-suburban) areas

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that SUV driver did the right thing; it could have been close call for a collision. Some drivers are simply not alert enough. Just because you have driveway, doesn't mean you have the right of way, the driver on the driveway pulled out prematurely without considering the consequences.

To me the annoying part is that the SUV driver honked his horn for 5 seconds longer than he had to. The white car had already stopped. This is a residential street so no need to disturb the neighbors more.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its quite possible that the SUV driver could not see because there was a tree and other car obstructing the driver's view. Doesn't appear the driver was speeding either. The driver in the white car should have pulled out cautiously (little by little); there is always a latency when it comes to reaction time especially when its difficult to determine speed when one object is moving along side another object,

@ljw2k and @saltwater I disagree. I don't live on a main street, the Infiniti SUV should of waited for the Honda to pull out of his driveway. SUV was driving too fast and impatient.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If the SUV driver was speeding and if he collided with the white car, the SUV driver would have been at fault. However, how do you prove that? That's where speed cameras come to the rescue.