Low Bitrate on Cat6 in Blue Iris Status Window

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Below is a screenshot of Blue Iris Status window. All but one of my cameras are within 10 feet of my switch as I've not had time to install them yet and they're just sitting on a table plugged in.

Camera 5 is the only camera installed and has no more than about ~100 ft of CAT6 between it and my switch. I have the camera set to VBR of 4096, same as the rest of the cameras, and am surprised to see such low bitrate for it, and some of the others as well ... is this normal?

IMG_2668.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same model camera with the same setting . Data rates are between 25kB/s and 185kB/s. It depends on the colors, the complexity of the image, the amount motion. It is no big deal to see the differences. You will also see big differences between day and night.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua 5231

That’s relieving!! I was thinking if it’s supposed to be closer to 4,096 I got some cheap cable or a bad switch!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua 5231

That’s relieving!! I was thinking if it’s supposed to be closer to 4,096 I got some cheap cable or a bad switch!!
It will never be anything 4096 as you are confusing bytes with bits. The camera displays kilobits. Blue iris display kilobytes. Its a 1 to 8 ratio.
Also as others have stated your bitrate is variable depending on the scene.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, not sure how I didn’t notice that and I wasn’t aware it depended on what the camera sees but makes sense all Black or White scene may use less.

For added clarity of anybody else seeing this, 4,096 kilobits is 512 kiloBytes. Does it make sense that at CBR I’d have 512kB being recorded versus at VBR I could have something much less like in my example thus the space savings?