Low Cost Outdoor Camera Pole?

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that I've been reading this forum for several months and have learned a lot ... so, thanks to the community. There seems to be some very knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum so I'm hoping someone can provide a solution to my problem.

I need to improve security camera coverage for a property that I own and need to mount cameras about 20 feet above ground on some type of pole. When I Google CCTV poles and look at the prices they seem to start at $750 a pole and go up from there. I need at least 10 poles so a $7.5K investment just for the poles makes the project unfeasible. The poles don't need to be aesthetically pleasing, just functional and stable under normal wind conditions.

Does anyone here have any good ideas for making a low cost camera pole? I'm trying to think outside the box so any feedback is welcome.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is getting some 3" or 4" OD steel pipe then sink it into the ground 3' or so depending on where you are in the country (to or below frost line). Main issue is that 20' mark you want to hit, anything you get is going to be $$$ cause of that length. I say steel pipe because it won't sway in the wind, if the wind is strong enough to sway that pipe, well, you'd have bigger problems to worry about at that point then a swaying camera.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
telephone poles that are recycled by hydro company, they replace cut off the 6 or 8 feet below ground and good to go. Up here they sell for 100-200 bucks. Also I see a few ham radio towers for sale at times pretty cheap or flag poles as 20 feet pretty short.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
4" schedule 40 galvanized pipe sunk in concrete? 3" if you don't mind a bit more vibration in wind. Cap on top to keep out the water, bottom open to earth to allow what gets in anyway to drain.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It can be expensive and prices is a wild range from place to place on pipe. I called around and got a 13' 4"od sch 40 pipe for 130'ish delivered. I have not installed it but plan to have that part of my project complete in the next week or so..

As for caps large enough, I ordered one off of Ebay for $8 shipped.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Russel Metals are Canada/USA and treat me well when I need steel and they deliver if they're in your city. They've generally got a MOQ set to discourage people wanting nickel and dime orders but unless you're way off the beaten track they should look after you. Tell the sales rep what you want to do and they'll tell you a few choices along with prices if you're not sure what to order. I don't know if they'll pick something for you because of liability reasons but they can present their options.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I really appreciate the ideas; I’m trying to find a local supplier of Schedule 40 pipe. In my search I came across a fencing company in Texas that sells 24’ long galvanized pipe and it seems like a possible solution. It’s about a $110 per 24’ pole but I need to figure out if I can get it shipped to the Tampa area for a reasonable price. Here’s the info in case anyone is interested.

http://afence.com/store/ft-3-HT-40-PIPE.html

An idea I had was to construct a 4x6-24’ rectangular pole using 2x4-8’ and 2x4-12’ treated lumber. The boards would be staggered and then fastened with deck screws and construction glue. Using Home Depot prices, each pole would cost around $50 (ignoring the time, effort and inevitable aggravation to make them). I assume they would be reasonably stable when anchored in concrete. Definitely not an easy turn-key solution but the cheapest I could come up with.

Any other ideas are welcome or thoughts about where I might buy 24’ sections of Schedule 40 pipe at a low price.

Kawboy12R, I’ll check out Russel Metals – thanks for the lead.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What you describe I've seen done before just not to 20' and it was done with 2x4 and lag bolts

Example 2 10' 2x4's with a n 8' 2x4 in the middle then stagger going up like you said with lag bolts holding the 3 interlocking section together. You could use outdoor treated lumber and prob be fine, But you do run the risk over time of wood rot at the base where it meets concrete just like a wooden fence, even with treated lumber.

I'm sure your lumber idea would work and be solid enough, however I think the Steel/Schedule 40 pipe is the "best" solution for long term reliability, ease of install, etc. But obviously if enough savings then why not give it a try :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
building supply companies have a larger selection and longer products than you'll find at home depot / lowes / menards.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd use galvanized carriage bolts to secure the laminated wood pole, particularly near the bottom if not the whole way up. Over time and with flexing the deck screws and glue will give way much faster. You don't want your poles to delaminate in a storm. I hear you get those in Tampa.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ben Orr - Owner/Operator

Metal Supermarkets – HoustonSW

10700 Corporate Dr, #118

Stafford, TX 77477

832-939-4600

This is who I ordered mine through, they are local and live in my area so it was free delivery!

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone again for the feedback!

I found a local fence company that supplies longer length Schedule 40 pipe. I need to get about 1,200 feet of fence replaced so I may buy the pipe from them when I get the fence installed.

I've been contemplating having the poles serve double duty by mounting both LED lights and cameras. I don't think the fence company sells pipe with a large enough diameter to support both, so Kwulabear thanks for the links to the local pipe suppliers!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need something far more rigid than that for a video camera; whats good for flags and lights is not good for cameras.. gets worse the more zoom you use, a PTZ needs a very solid mount for the zoom to be usable.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Military used stuff. Here they call it surplus. you can get masts in different length, mostly old relay station equipment. Aluminum masts, very solid. I would look here

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wobble would be narly with those for anything other than lighting.

For super stable I would go with multiple 1-2" thread gal pipe with couplings, would be way easier to get a hold of. I might go with 2 poles each concreted and connect at the top with some 90s, or a tripod setup with those. Would still need to brace somewhat. If you went with the tripod you could go way down on the material grade, aluminum or something, which would really cut cost.

Something like a satellite tripod on google. One of those might actually work and be stable "enough" depending on your use case.

Not really a cheap option, but cheaper than purpose built.

The cheapest option would be mother nature.