Low CPU utilization/Low FPS when server dormant

Predki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here.

I have a strange issue come up when my IP camera server PC is left dormant (ie., Windows is locked and PC is left dormant for 30mins or so) - Frame rate in UI3 streams and (triggered) recordings drop to 0-3FPS and CPU utilization drops to 2-6%. If I walk up to the PC and log in, about 30 seconds later frame rates come back up to 10 FPS and CPU utilization goes back up to 11-17% (this results in smooth playback and recording... but as mentioned, drops again soon after I walk away from the PC)

My set up:
- NVR server: Windows 10 laptop with i5-4300u CPU w/ QuickSync.
- 4gb of ram
- Blue Iris 4
- 2 x GW5089MIP Cameras
- Cameras and Server on common switch (unmanaged)
- Recording Direct-To-Disk at 2688x1520resolution, 10fps, 5000kbps VBR, Frame Interval=20, H264.

I thought of adjusting the Minimum CPU utilization from the default 5% to 20% in Windows power management, but this didn't work. I also set 'Turn off hard drive" to Never but this didn't help either.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

PS, I attached a screenshot of the UI3 interface while observe this strange behaviour (a little clock symbol appears sometimes in the top right corner).

Matt

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 6.49.33 PM.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Is anything on wifi ?
2) does the camera network traffic run through the router
3) is BI running as a service.
4) laptops drop there CPU and power requirement when Idle, sleep, cover closed.

DO not use a laptop for BI, it is ok for testing but not for real world use.

The orange clock means a low frame rate.

Predki

n3wb
Reaction score
1- no wifi for the cameras or PC.
2- cameras are connected to a switch along with the PC. There is only one subnet that the router manages so I’m not sure whether the camera footage goes through the router along its path to the PC.
3.BI is running as a service in the background.
4. I plan on running the laptop in the short term unless I can’t resolve this issue quickly.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Prevent the laptop from sleeping. That more than likely is your problem. It is not a bi problem.

If the cameras and the PC are connected to the same switch then the data is not flowing through the router.

Predki

n3wb
Reaction score
Prevent the laptop from sleeping. That more than likely is your problem. It is not a bi problem.

If the cameras and the PC are connected to the same switch then the data is not flowing through the router.
What do you mean? Is there some low power state that the PC goes into when not in use? Currently the PC is set to never go to sleep, and BI UI3 is accessible through the web browser on other machines. Only problem is the low frame rate 1-3fps.
Since writing my first post I noticed that setting hardware acceleration to none (rather than intel quick sync) has solved the problem.
my question is: with direct to disk writing, is there a need for hardware accelerated decoding if the stream is being taken directly off the camera and saved onto a hard drive?