Low FPS When Console Is Up, But Still Low CPU Usage

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a strange issue with my install on an older AMD X6 1075T with Nvidia Gigabyte graphics card (Cuda enabled). I'm running three wired 1080p cameras at only 5 fps and <1 Mbps each, along with one standard definition wifi camera also at 5 fps (that one doesn't have motion detection enabled). I'm not using direct to disk as I need the BI overlays and had some trouble getting direct to disk working properly in the first place.

Everything seems to run fine normally, except when the console is pulled up. The FPS on one or more of the 1080p cameras seems to drop significantly when it's up. However, the CPU and memory usage still show as very low in BI and monitoring each core in windows when this happens, and there is no difference in the effect whether Cuda hardware acceleration is enabled or disabled. I've also tried reducing the fps for live viewing on the console, which again made no difference, nor did reducing the sensitivity on the motion detection. It almost seems like BI is being choked for CPU since it doesn't seem to be ramping up when it needs to, which I presume is the cause of the fps drop.

Is there anything else that I can look into? I've run through every option that I could find, and even tried changing the process priority in windows task manager to see if it would help (it didn't). Even though it's a somewhat dated CPU, I can't imagine that it should have any trouble handling these cameras at such low fps, but maybe I'm overestimating its capabilities.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It's maybe worth noting that there is generally no issue with fps when UI3 is used for viewing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this. If you are using hardware acceleration, turn off on all your cameras. Then retest.

What windows version are you running ?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The issue existed before Nvidia cuda hardware acceleration was even an option, as well as after having it enabled for all cameras, so I doubt it's related. I can give it a shot, though. I'm running Windows 7 home ultimate 64 bit.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you have UI3 for viewing, is UI3 running directly on the BI pc. Or is it running on a different PC.

When you are slowed down, Pull up the windows task manager and look at the CPU load and memory utilization. provide a screen shot of the task manager Process screen (all processes) order by CPU utilization. A screen shot of the task manager performance screen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a strange issue with my install on an older AMD X6 1075T with Nvidia Gigabyte graphics card (Cuda enabled). I'm running three wired 1080p cameras at only 5 fps and <1 Mbps each, along with one standard definition wifi camera also at 5 fps (that one doesn't have motion detection enabled). I'm not using direct to disk as I need the BI overlays and had some trouble getting direct to disk working properly in the first place.

Everything seems to run fine normally, except when the console is pulled up. The FPS on one or more of the 1080p cameras seems to drop significantly when it's up. However, the CPU and memory usage still show as very low in BI and monitoring each core in windows when this happens, and there is no difference in the effect whether Cuda hardware acceleration is enabled or disabled. I've also tried reducing the fps for live viewing on the console, which again made no difference, nor did reducing the sensitivity on the motion detection. It almost seems like BI is being choked for CPU since it doesn't seem to be ramping up when it needs to, which I presume is the cause of the fps drop.

Is there anything else that I can look into? I've run through every option that I could find, and even tried changing the process priority in windows task manager to see if it would help (it didn't). Even though it's a somewhat dated CPU, I can't imagine that it should have any trouble handling these cameras at such low fps, but maybe I'm overestimating its capabilities.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It's maybe worth noting that there is generally no issue with fps when UI3 is used for viewing.
Are you viewing on a local monitor or windows remote desktop?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I've used UI3, it's been on a different machine.

In terms of viewing, I believe the framerate drop has happened with both local viewing and via remote desktop, but I'll confirm since it could clearly have an impact. If it turns out to be an issue primarily with remote desktop, I'd still wonder why the framerate drops without a cpu spike. I'll check into it anyway, and I'll try to snag a resources screenshot when it acts up.

Thanks for helping me track down the issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I've used UI3, it's been on a different machine.

In terms of viewing, I believe the framerate drop has happened with both local viewing and via remote desktop, but I'll confirm since it could clearly have an impact. If it turns out to be an issue primarily with remote desktop, I'd still wonder why the framerate drops without a cpu spike. I'll check into it anyway, and I'll try to snag a resources screenshot when it acts up.

Thanks for helping me track down the issue.
If it only happens with remote desktop then that's normal, blue iris does it by default. You need to change the settings in blue iris options>cameras to unrestricted.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually do have that set to be unrestricted. The low fps shows on the fps overlay and is obvious in any recordings as well, so it seems like more than just an interface display effect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually do have that set to be unrestricted. The low fps shows on the fps overlay and is obvious in any recordings as well, so it seems like more than just an interface display effect.
post the video settings from the cameras web interface

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can dig into them and snag some snapshots, but they're fairly basic and, unfortunately, cheap Chinese cameras. The streams from them seem fairly solid when viewed on their own, though. Are you looking for camera settings (e.g., slow shutter), video coding settings (e.g., h.264 profile, fps), network settings (e.g., network priority), or all of them?

Interestingly, I haven't seen any fps drops on the cameras since my original post. I think it's unrelated, but one thing that I did around the same time was clear all port forwarding for them in the router since I don't use their individual streams externally outside of the BI web server anymore. I was having other stability issues where they would deadlock randomly and require a power cycle before working again. After reading that having the ports open can result in an external user/bot hammering the login and causing it to crash, I deleted those entries and haven't had a single crash on any of them ever since. Again, I doubt that it's related, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if I still have fps drops going forward.