Low Light/night color Dome??

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for a low light/night color dome that can be used on a MDU/Apartment building setting. Colorvu would be perfect if it was vandal proof.. Anything similar in a dome and/or box Camera?

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Arguably the turret format of the ColorVu is as vandal-proof as a dome format.
Just about any camera will come down with a baseball bat. Or shut down with a can of spray paint. If camera security is an issue two cameras covering each other.
if this was your install would you feel comfortable using Colorvu turrets near the roofline? We're doing 8 in each court (2 courts) for a broad overview. 1 Pointed at each door way and 1 inside each building
IMG_3639.JPG

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At the roofline level they will be useless for providing facial identification of anyone. All you'll get is the top of heads. If you want to have usable video the cameras need to be no higher than seven to eight feet.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
At the roofline, they will provide general over watch cameras and allow you to know something occured but no chance of you id'ing anyone. Also, just to assure you understand how the color view work (not insinuating you don't, just some people don't realize it till after install). There is a VERY HIGH intensity LED light under the lens, that is what provides the ambient light to keep the camera in color. Having 16 of those mounted around is going to be like 16 Bright White LED's screaming look at me, not to mention if outside one of those windows may upset a resident. I have used Dahua 24/7 color cameras, even have one on my house, in the back yard since we back upto woods, but for me, that high intensity LED is sorta an eye sore personally, depending on where you place them.

I believe your job needs a mix, maybe a few 24/7 color cameras, but mostly it needs conduit on the building with cameras just above the door and out of arms length, as well as on the corners of the building criss crossing providing full coverage.

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
At the roofline, they will provide general over watch cameras and allow you to know something occured but no chance of you id'ing anyone. Also, just to assure you understand how the color view work (not insinuating you don't, just some people don't realize it till after install). There is a VERY HIGH intensity LED light under the lens, that is what provides the ambient light to keep the camera in color. Having 16 of those mounted around is going to be like 16 Bright White LED's screaming look at me, not to mention if outside one of those windows may upset a resident. I have used Dahua 24/7 color cameras, even have one on my house, in the back yard since we back upto woods, but for me, that high intensity LED is sorta an eye sore personally, depending on where you place them.

I believe your job needs a mix, maybe a few 24/7 color cameras, but mostly it needs conduit on the building with cameras just above the door and out of arms length, as well as on the corners of the building criss crossing providing full coverage.
haha yeah I know how they work i've installed probably 200 of them so far residentially. there's enough lighting in the courtyard to leave the supplemental light off, I normally don't even have to cut them on. I wanted to go with a dahua N45EM63 dome, but they're already familiar with ivms 4200/4500. yeah the 8 courtyard cameras are meant to just provide an overview, and the internal and external doorway cameras are the identifiers. I'm an installer been doing this for a while so I know the ins and outs, but was more so looking for more of a camera recommendation. I'm honestly leaning toward using hik cameras for the doorways and using dahua domes as onvif for the overview cameras.. I hate doing that, but it\s the only solution that i can come up with that'll give me the dome night color that i need and allow them to keep the IVMS 4200/4500.. I cant even get them to switch to hik-connect for the mobile app. lol

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanted to go with a dahua N45EM63 dome
Ummmm.... That is one of the worst cameras you could place outside... Domes outside in the elements are a terrible idea period due to the discoloration of the dome over time as well as the constant issue with water spots etc. Furthermore, Turret cameras provide just as much protection from vandals as domes - if you lock them tight with the set screw no ones going to be able to turn them. Additionally, if you are mounting things that high, a dome is pointless, even a turret is useless unless you are ordering with 12mm lens, and if you do force IR or night time color your going to want the more powerful box camera or matrix IR options... If you are going high out of arms reach and especially if you are going under the eves you need to be installing box cams with variable zoom so you can dial each of them in. Also, not sure why you would mix manufactures and force ONVIF, both manufactures have a 24/7 color option, and both have almost apples to apples cameras - there is pretty much zero point in ever mixing HIK and Dahua.....

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Ummmm.... That is one of the worst cameras you could place outside... Domes outside in the elements are a terrible idea period due to the discoloration of the dome over time as well as the constant issue with water spots etc. Furthermore, Turret cameras provide just as much protection from vandals as domes - if you lock them tight with the set screw no ones going to be able to turn them. Additionally, if you are mounting things that high, a dome is pointless, even a turret is useless unless you are ordering with 12mm lens, and if you do force IR or night time color your going to want the more powerful box camera or matrix IR options... If you are going high out of arms reach and especially if you are going under the eves you need to be installing box cams with variable zoom so you can dial each of them in. Also, not sure why you would mix manufactures and force ONVIF, both manufactures have a 24/7 color option, and both have almost apples to apples cameras - there is pretty much zero point in ever mixing HIK and Dahua.....
I agree with you, but the customer is persistent on needing dome or box cameras i dont know why.. Someone has convinced them that dome is the only way to go. I was originally inquiring about a box camera.. any recommendations on those for low light? I dont install many box camera at all.. the last box camera I installed was an analog 700tvl one lol. only reason I was considering mixing was because dahua had a dome "starlight" model. I usually stay away from domes especially when ir is needed because of the IR reflections. I wish I could get them to go dahua, but they wont go that route.. it would actually be slightly cheaper.

12mm lens is a bit much for this application. these buildings are only 21 feet tall at the roofline. customer knows that they wont be able to ID a person at that distance, but are saving the id for the door cams. i'm going 6MM with the overview cameras. they're are cringing at the price its 2 courts with 32 cameras a piece a total of 64 and trenching from court 1 to court 2 with lc fiber and conduit is involved..

but back to the original question can you recommend any low light color box cams?