Low Power causing problems

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My camera has a sticker on it that states it requires 12 volts @ 4 amps. I did not notice this until I went out to mount the camera.
The power supply they gave me with the camera is only rated at 12 volts 2 amps. Now I extended my power cable to 50 feet using some 16 gauge wire.
I noticed last night that the camera was acting very sluggish and had trouble providing a clear picture. This morning is better. I have a nice 12 volt 35 amp power supply I can use for it.

My question is: Has anyone else noticed a problem with your IP cameras in a low power situation?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I might have. LOL.

I once installed a cheap ~($150, years ago) PTZ that used a 12 volt 1 amp adapter. But I ran the power down 50-100 feet of cat5e cable. The camera worked just fine at first but after a few months the PTZ stopped working and now the video still works but it is stuck in a fixed (and nearly worthless) position. It could have just been the cheapness of the camera though, and not failure due to lack of power.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was monitoring the voltage out of the little power supply. It goes from 12.5 volts, down to 12 when operating the PTZ. I think I am not getting enough amps up the wire.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My camera has a sticker on it that states it requires 12 volts @ 4 amps. I did not notice this until I went out to mount the camera.
The power supply they gave me with the camera is only rated at 12 volts 2 amps. Now I extended my power cable to 50 feet using some 16 gauge wire.
I noticed last night that the camera was acting very sluggish and had trouble providing a clear picture. This morning is better. I have a nice 12 volt 35 amp power supply I can use for it.

My question is: Has anyone else noticed a problem with your IP cameras in a low power situation?
The fact that the morning is better indicates that it may be a power issue..since the IR at night consume lots of juice...Unless you tested it without ir at night as well..

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hooked it up to my 35 amp supply, I never see it draw more than 2.7 amps, but video is not jerky at night.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will leave it on my big power supply, it powers my radio gear when I am using it, so no big deal, but interesting to know that it can/will affect performance.