Low quality video in Adroid app All Cameras view

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently evaluating Blue Iris for my needs. The problem I'm having is low quality and low fps video in the All Cameras view in the Android app. I have 4 Ubiquiti UVC-G3 cameras configured on my Blue Iris server. The video looks normal on the server and in single camera view on the Android app. The problem is with all 4 cameras being viewed in all camera view.

I've tried changing a variety of settings in BI, switched my cameras from UnFi video to Standalone but after a few days of troubleshooting this nothing appears to make a difference. Hopefully I'm missing something stupid here that someone can point out...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently evaluating Blue Iris for my needs. The problem I'm having is low quality and low fps video in the All Cameras view in the Android app. I have 4 Ubiquiti UVC-G3 cameras configured on my Blue Iris server. The video looks normal on the server and in single camera view on the Android app. The problem is with all 4 cameras being viewed in all camera view.

I've tried changing a variety of settings in BI, switched my cameras from UnFi video to Standalone but after a few days of troubleshooting this nothing appears to make a difference. Hopefully I'm missing something stupid here that someone can point out...
on the left of the ptz controls, select all cameras, then hit settings and enter 1920x1080 in the resolution field

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on the left of the ptz controls, select all cameras, then hit settings and enter 1920x1080 in the resolution field
Thanks for the help, picture is sharp now that it's at the correct resolution but I'm still seeing low fps. I'm getting normal 30 fps in single camera view though. Another problem with all cameras view is its not scaling correctly on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch. Strange since the app itself scales fine it's just when switching to all cameras view I get black bars on the top and bottom

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, picture is sharp now that it's at the correct resolution but I'm still seeing low fps. I'm getting normal 30 fps in single camera view though. Another problem with all cameras view is its not scaling correctly on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch. Strange since the app itself scales fine it's just when switching to all cameras view I get black bars on the top and bottom
in the webserver settings increase the max bitrate..
as far as scaling, it will depend on the resolution of your tablet and cameras, blue iris will not artificially stretch the image it will display in its proper aspect ratio..

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as far as scaling, it will depend on the resolution of your tablet and cameras, blue iris will not artificially stretch the image it will display in its proper aspect ratio..
That did it, now on to vpn configuration and testing.. thanks again.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I decided to commit to BI and installed a licensed version on my server (Windows Server 2016). I'm still having trouble with frame rate in all cameras view on android. Also getting choppy recordings. My webserver streaming options are CBR 6000 kbps; gop 300, bframe 0. My server is running an i5-4590S 3.0GHz and stays around 30% utilization with BI running as a service. I need to get this working as I decided to ditch Ubiquiti and return my UVC-G3's to B&H. No android notification after this much time is a deal breaker plus I ran into some recording bugs that were supposed to be fixed in earlier code releases. One of my cameras runs unusually hot at well. I've got some Dahua starlights on order from Andy and want to tweak my BI install as much as possible before I get those.

Anyone have any tips on what I'm missing here?

BTW- This forum is awesome.. wish I would have found this BEFORE I started my journey into DIY home surveillance setup!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I decided to commit to BI and installed a licensed version on my server (Windows Server 2016). I'm still having trouble with frame rate in all cameras view on android. Also getting choppy recordings. My webserver streaming options are CBR 6000 kbps; gop 300, bframe 0. My server is running an i5-4590S 3.0GHz and stays around 30% utilization with BI running as a service. I need to get this working as I decided to ditch Ubiquiti and return my UVC-G3's to B&H. No android notification after this much time is a deal breaker plus I ran into some recording bugs that were supposed to be fixed in earlier code releases. One of my cameras runs unusually hot at well. I've got some Dahua starlights on order from Andy and want to tweak my BI install as much as possible before I get those.

Anyone have any tips on what I'm missing here?

BTW- This forum is awesome.. wish I would have found this BEFORE I started my journey into DIY home surveillance setup!!
post video of your choppy recordings..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
and match the iframe interval to the fps in the camera

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure your Hard Drives are set to never sleep under advanced power options.
Running Server 2016 so that is set to never by default, but I double checked it anyway. I'm running a 4-disk ReFS Storage Spaces array for storage. OS and BI is installed on an 80GB SSD. BI Database and NVR storage is on the Storage Spaces array. They're slower 5200RPM SATA drives but I still get decent performance out of them in the 4 disk array.

and match the iframe interval to the fps in the camera
The Ubiquiti UVC-G3's don't have any iframe settings on camera. Any other ideas on what to check? At the end of the day these cams are going back but I'd still like to have BI working properly before my new Starlights come in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Running Server 2016 so that is set to never by default, but I double checked it anyway. I'm running a 4-disk ReFS Storage Spaces array for storage. OS and BI is installed on an 80GB SSD. BI Database and NVR storage is on the Storage Spaces array. They're slower 5200RPM SATA drives but I still get decent performance out of them in the 4 disk array.

The Ubiquiti UVC-G3's don't have any iframe settings on camera. Any other ideas on what to check? At the end of the day these cams are going back but I'd still like to have BI working properly before my new Starlights come in.
They should have an iframe settings post a screenshot of the video settings page..if they dont, then that could be the issue...
Also as per the BI help file, the database should be on your ssd.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They should have an iframe settings post a screenshot of the video settings page..if they dont, then that could be the issue...
Also as per the BI help file, the database should be on your ssd.
This is the only video related settings on camera:

upload_2017-4-6_17-5-37.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that could be the cause...try to disable direct to disk on the camera and see if it helps...this is just for testing..

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
increase the receive buffer in the video config settings to 20mb..
Its definitely better with the 20mb buffer. I'm not getting those long pauses but more like micro stuttering now. Still have low fps in all cameras view on android for some reason.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its definitely better with the 20mb buffer. I'm not getting those long pauses but more like micro stuttering now. Still have low fps in all cameras view on android for some reason.
That all cameras view will likely never be super fluid on the android app...try maxing out the bitrates and messing with the advanced profile setting in the webserver..make sure you select the proper profile in the mobile app...
The stuttering may be related to the iframes..who knows...ping the cameras for a few minuets and check for packet loss.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That all cameras view will likely never be super fluid on the android app...try maxing out the bitrates and messing with the advanced profile setting in the webserver..make sure you select the proper profile in the mobile app...
The stuttering may be related to the iframes..who knows...ping the cameras for a few minuets and check for packet loss.
Ping on the cameras is rock solid. I didn't have any issues like this with UniFi Video running on the same server. The UniFi Video android app also worked fine with all cameras view. Do you think these issues will be better with the Dahua cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ping on the cameras is rock solid. I didn't have any issues like this with UniFi Video running on the same server. The UniFi Video android app also worked fine with all cameras view. Do you think these issues will be better with the Dahua cameras?
I have no idea if its the camera or something else...I can tell you that I run many dahua and hikvision cameras with blue iris and dont have this issue.
Have you excluded blue iris system and storage folders from virus scans?