LPR API solutions

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I've tried to use the open source version of OpenALPR and it is terrible. Platerecognizer and the commercial OpenALPR work great but neither have a decent pricing model if I just want to process my images. I understand Open ALPR has a $5 to process my stream but it takes up too much CPU and I have a few cameras I want to process and stills is going to be the best option.

I've also wrote the team at PlateRecognizer to see if they have another other plans as $50 is overkill.

Any thoughts or feedback ?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a Hikvision camera that has the LPR built directly into its AI. In other words, it catches the plates and writes them out on its own without a matching NVR. I'm not sure what model it is.

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one of those as well. It works ok but not as good as the API based ones.

There is a Hikvision camera that has the LPR built directly into its AI. In other words, it catches the plates and writes them out on its own without a matching NVR. I'm not sure what model it is.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh its not? That disappointing to hear. I was considering that model at one time but balked at the price.

From what I can tell you have two options like you pointed out: OpenALPR or Platerecognizer. Neither seems like a great solution so that is why I'm doing neither and just record 24x7x365. Its easy enough to go back and pull the footage if I need it.

Now if I had an application that required me to read a plate live and perform a function (e.g. open a gate) then I'd have to come up with something else. But the options kinda suck. I think the pricing structure of the above mentioned two is because they don't want to deal with us (homeowners) and would rather sell to businesses.

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
I received some pricing from Platerecognizer and they do in fact have smaller packages not listed on their site. I am not sure if their price is custom for me so I wont share it here.

Oh its not? That disappointing to hear. I was considering that model at one time but balked at the price.

From what I can tell you have two options like you pointed out: OpenALPR or Platerecognizer. Neither seems like a great solution so that is why I'm doing neither and just record 24x7x365. Its easy enough to go back and pull the footage if I need it.

Now if I had an application that required me to read a plate live and perform a function (e.g. open a gate) then I'd have to come up with something else. But the options kinda suck. I think the pricing structure of the above mentioned two is because they don't want to deal with us (homeowners) and would rather sell to businesses.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That's great!

I'm sure we really aren't they "ideal" customer but its nice to hear they make accommodations if you ask. If you won't share the price can you share how many lookups a month are allowed with your plan?

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
It's pretty much aligned to what you would expect if you divided the $50 plan into smaller chunks.

That's great!

I'm sure we really aren't they "ideal" customer but its nice to hear they make accommodations if you ask. If you won't share the price can you share how many lookups a month are allowed with your plan?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bummer to hear that the open source / free version of OpenALPR isn't very good. I was going to try it. Did you get it up and running, or just having problems installing it?

aponte

n3wb
Reaction score
I got it up and running and the percent of recognition when compared to the Platerecognizer was drastically different. I dont have official stats, but the few plates I tried which should of worked didnt. The way I am running now- I am getting a near perfect read rate on my two cams.

Platerecognizer does not do well on the vanity plates that have two characters vertically and there are times it reads people's shirts, but other than that I am quite happy.

Bummer to hear that the open source / free version of OpenALPR isn't very good. I was going to try it. Did you get it up and running, or just having problems installing it?