LPR Planning - Hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8

Torque

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering installing dedicated LPR cameras around my property, and am currently in the planning stages. My current system is made up of 12 Hikvision Colorvu cameras, and a Hikvision NPR. I live in a single plate state, at the corner of a T intersection. Due to this, I'm planning on getting 4 LPR cameras. For my application, I'm not looking for automatic recognition, but rather the ability to go back and review the footage if something should happen and be able to read the plate.

Looking at the datasheets, it appears the best Hikvision camera for my application is DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8. However, I have some concerns regarding the angles and distances.

When I cross-check the cameras and placement in IPVM, it returns a satisfactory result. However, it violates the viewing angle and distances of the data sheet. My application would place the horizontal angle at about 50 degrees, and the distance at around 100 ft.

I am able to mount the cameras on a lower soffit overhang, so I do not violate the vertical angle.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should trust IPVM or the datasheet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That camera you are looking at is a true LPR camera that will read the plates and since you said you do not need that, go with something cheaper.

All you need is a good Dahua or Hikvision with enough optical zoom to be able to manually read the plates. It is just a matter of shutter speed to be able to read plates.

At 100 feet, you will find the 32mm optical zoom to probably not cut it.

On the Dahua side, they sell cameras that do LPR as well that are in this price range as well.

But most of us use cameras that are about half the price as we do not want the automated reader within the camera.

The Dahua 32mm camera most of have found beyond 60 feet is troublesome.

Most of us use the 5241-Z12E for distances 60 feet to 200 feet. This camera has varifocal from 5.3mm to 64mm.

For 100 feet you would probably want a camera capable of at least 50mm, so if you want to stay in the Hikvision family, then find a camera with that optical range.

Reading plates at a distance is based on the ability to optically zoom to that distance, along with setting the parameters like shutter speed.

At night, most of us have to run B/W with infrared due to the fast shutter speed (1/2000) and as such all we see are head/tail lights and the plate.

The Z12E doesn't read and store plates like this camera does, but the Z12E can certainly capture images to read plates at 165 feet.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E:

1634316212419.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Torque

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and recommendation!

I think my biggest challenge is going to be viewing angle. What angle are you currently running the above camera at?

Additionally, an ignorant question, can you use a Dahua camera with a Hikvision NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location. The longer the distance, the higher the angle we can get away with because the distance starts to "flatten" the angle. I couldn't do this angle at 50 feet, but 175 and it works.

For basic functions like bringing the video in and the NVR recording on motion, alerts, etc. yes the Dahua camera will work with the Hikvision NVR. Things like the AI in the Dahua might not transfer properly, but we can't use the AI anyway in the camera because of the tight zoom and angle.

Torque

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the horizontal angle the same as the HAoV on Ipvm? Or am I misunderstanding how HAoV works?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the 5241 z12e on my BI system alongside the color overview camera. i don't have the footage. but you can see it's close to100 feet..
Screenshot 2021-07-10 004350.pngScreenshot 2021-07-10 004320.pngScreenshot 2021-07-10 004012.pngScreenshot 2021-07-10 003947.png

Torque

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been looking into the Z12 and it appears people keep having issues with focus. Is this due to set up or a camera bug?