LPR with HDView IP-5IR4080MZ-922

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Trying my luck at getting LPR with IP-5IR4080MZ-922 by HDView (Amazon Link) but not getting a good result.
Camera is setup on a warehouse wall with car traffic passing about 110ft from the camera. Angle to the passing cars and license plates should be around 30-35 degrees.
The distance can be shortened to about 95ft but then the angle would be 45-55.

First issue is BlueIris does not like when camera is configured with MJPEG stream as recommended in amazon review. The result of MJPEG stream in BI is attached to this post. Looks like image is coming through but spliced. Forcing resolution in BI just stretches the image.
Difference between MJPEG and H264 is quite big. It comes down to shown cars in attachment having almost readable license plates (MJPEG) vs just blurry smudges (H264).

Second issues, or rather a request is for recommended settings. I also mirrored the settings from amazon review (except exposure time) but pictures are quite different. I suspect being higher and further from subject than comparable in amazon review might be it.
With no option to lower the installation height, what option could I explore?

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@PancakeBimmer - first issue is you need to zoom in a lot closer - if that is zoomed all the way in, you will have trouble making out plates, especially at night.

At that angle, all that should be in the display is the vehicle with not much else in the picture. Using the other cars as a guide on the image you provided, you would need to be able to zoom in to about this which would give you not much more than the vehicle:

1583775641541.png

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@PancakeBimmer - first issue is you need to zoom in a lot closer - if that is zoomed all the way in, you will have trouble making out plates, especially at night.

At that angle, all that should be in the display is the vehicle with not much else in the picture. Using the other cars as a guide on the image you provided, you would need to be able to zoom in to about this which would give you not much more than the vehicle:

View attachment 57083
Hmmm. In that case a different camera might be in order. Current camera's zoom maxes out at 22mm and picture provided is already with zoom maxed out.
I just might trying to move camera closer as explained in original post, but hopefully weird angle doesn't make more problems.

Thank you for feedback

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@PancakeBimmer - Most on this site go with this camera for plate reading: Amazon.com : Loryta IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E IP Camera 2MP Starlight WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera English Version : Camera & Photo

This camera would get you plates at 110 - some have reported at 200 feet. I can get them at 200 feet, but at night unless it is a perfect plate, I don't get all of them.

I am at the limits angle wise at about 45 degrees above and 45 degrees angle horizontal at 145 feet or so and can get plates.

Take a look at the LPR section of this forum for a lot more details and info to help you out!

But I would suggest trying to get closer first with that camera - even at a weird angle, you still may get a lot if the vertical difference isn't great.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.