Lurking and avidly reading this brilliant forum —- All suggestions and directions are appreciated

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi from New Zealand,

Found this forum a few days ago and am stunned at the knowledge base! I consider my self fortunate to have found you guys. Needless to say I am avidly reading ... including that 50 page thread on the Dahua NVR5216

Not a complete newb to security, 20 years ago I had my own alarm company and still today do the odd install (wow, so much tech to update on each time)

Right now I am about to order, after a bit more reading, an NVR 5216 from Andy and perhaps 4 cameras across the lens range. .6mm for the driveway, 3.6 for close driveway and two 2.8 inside around a particular room.

Due to taxes I cant import from USA unless supplier is registered to pay the consumption tax to our govt GST or VAT or what ever. So I am buying from Ali Express whom are already registered and paying the GST to NZ govt for me.

Question

I want a hidden IP camera at neck level looking up at the face .......... what do you suggest? How about this REVOTECH POE 940nm Invisible IR H.265 3MP IP Camera 1296P / 1080P PIR LED Night Indoor Security CCTV

Question

Any advice or threads I should read? - Yes I am reading the 50 page NVR5216 thread and up to page 30 but keep getting diverted to great threads by comments there. I will finish that 50 page thread.

Why the NVR5216?

I have learnt that you do not buy the close out budget model of anything NVR5216 has a large bandwidth of 320, single and relatively silent fan, expandable to 16 camera etc

Why the T5442TM Camera?

Everyone here is raving about them and Andy sells them. Sometimes you have to listen to the experienced people! (I also have a new 4433 in its box that I ordered months ago but have not used, what do you think of that camera?)

All advice and suggestions listened to ——- IP addresses and subnet and masks and router security are going to be a challenge and something fun to learn.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you take the NVR5216 with POE, it does have a non-quite yet intense fan :p But with some tweaking you can exchange it with a more silent one. It does become hot, especially with 16 cams and 2 hdds.

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
If you take the NVR5216 with POE, it does have a non-quite yet intense fan :p But with some tweaking you can exchange it with a more silent one. It does become hot, especially with 16 cams and 2 hdds.
Thanks - yes I did consider this, the threads on changing fans are interesting and I am still reading them. However quiet is a big deal for me.