M Series tyni desktop PCs

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lenovo M Series tiny desktop PCs

What does anybody think about the Lenovo M series PCs for a small system using the BI software? Does anyone have any experience with this PC?

New: Rugged, powerful, and astonishingly compact. The 1L ThinkCentre M700 Tiny desktop is MIL-SPEC tested, so it can handle tough treatment, including dusty environments. And while it boasts cutting edge features, it’s small enough to be deployed anywhere.

Starting at:
$399.00
After instant savings

$359.10

Learn More
  • Up to 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Up to Windows 10 Pro
  • Up to 16GB DDR4 memory
  • Up to 500GB HDD, 256GB SSD
  • Up to 802.11 a/c WiFi, plus Bluetooth® 4.0
  • Integrated Intel® Graphics
  • Front ports: 2 x USB 3.0 (1 fast-charge), 2 x audio; Rear ports: Up to 4 x USB 3.0, DP + DP, 1 x punch out (VGA/HDMI/DP/Serial), 1 x LAN, 1 x audio

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like a great little box if you are willing to fork $400 for core i7 upgrade.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't i7 the min spec for BI use?
No, i7 is a meaningless number without the exact model... There are way to many variations.. Some too weak, there are i5's that are more powerful than i7's...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
do you think this PC would handle the BI with the i5 option?
it depends on the cameras you plan on running...
also you are over paying...you can buy an i5-4590 business class pc for 300.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm searching e-bay for: win 10 pro, i5-4590t, 500gb and I'm not seeing any $300 PCs. More like $500. And most others are win 7 with memory much less than 16gb. What are you referencing?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProDesk-600-G1-SFF-Desktop-Computer-i5-4570-3-20GHz-4GB-500GB-DVDRW-/152025613528?hash=item23656ec4d8:g:DwcAAOSwI3RW8eiG

Not necessarily the one I would buy, and it would probably benefit from a memory upgrade, and you can find them with better warranties. I run 16 GB of RAM in my BI server now, but not so long ago I ran 8 GB, and this is with about 60 megapixels worth of cameras running in it and blueiris.exe demanding 5 GB. For a starter system (4-8 cams?) you could get away with 4 GB of RAM without any problem.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless electricity is really expensive where you live, I would skip the i5-4590t as it is less capable than the i5-4570 or i5-4590 CPUs which can be found in $300-$350 machines.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How many and what cameras are you using? you likely dont need 16gb of memory.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many and what cameras are you using? you likely dont need 16gb of memory.
I plan on using 6 cams to start. Expand to include 2 more down the road - maybe. I'm figuring a minimum 5mp for each, and would not buy a camera with less than a capability for 15fps, preferably 30fps even though I would not set the speed that high for all the cameras. I need a good face picture of the bad guys, so I can give it to the police. After 7 robberies I'm pretty sure they will be back again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on using 6 cams to start. Expand to include 2 more down the road - maybe. I'm figuring a minimum 5mp for each, and would not buy a camera with less than a capability for 15fps, preferably 30fps even though I would not set the speed that high for all the cameras. I need a good face picture of the bad guys, so I can give it to the police. After 7 robberies I'm pretty sure they will be back again.
Then you need an i7 haswell or skylake.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sheesh where in Michigan do you live.
I live in Howell Mi, and the police tell me that the area has a drug problem. I do not live on my farm so my equipment is a prime target for theft. They take it down to Detroit and fence it to buy drugs. I'm determined to catch them on cam so they can go to jail!!!

So here is my pic for the computer. It is a Lenovo M900. This bundle includes the monitor and a keyboard. I'm still looking for the same with Bluetooth so i can use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Some stuff here I don't need in this unit but a lot of the features are bundled even when I am custom building the spec.

$891.09 Computer
ThinkCenterM900 - Tiny
Part number: 10FMCTO1WW
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700T 2.8G 4C
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Form Factor: Tiny Q170
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133 SoDIMM
Video Adapter: Integrated Graphic Card
First Graphic Dongle: DP to DVI
Second Graphic Dongle: None
Third Graphic Dongle: None
DP Port: Optional DP Port
Hard Drive: 500GB HD 7200RPM 2.5" SATA3
M.2 Storage Card: NONE
Optical Device: None
Networking: Integrated Ethernet
WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel 8260+BT 2x2ac Tiny vPro
Keyboard: USB Fullsize Keyboard Black - English
Mouse: None
Vertical Stand: Vertical Stand Tiny
Dust Shield: Dust Shield TINY
Speakers: Internal Speaker Tiny

Warranty: 1 Year On-site
External Monitor: ThinkVision E1922 18.5-inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's no good and Howell is a decent area but when you add that factor it makes sense.

FYI that build does have Bluetooth built into the wirelessWiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel 8260+BT 2x2ac Tiny vPro . I assume your liking this because of the small form factor of it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I live in Howell Mi, and the police tell me that the area has a drug problem. I do not live on my farm so my equipment is a prime target for theft. They take it down to Detroit and fence it to buy drugs. I'm determined to catch them on cam so they can go to jail!!!

So here is my pic for the computer. It is a Lenovo M900. This bundle includes the monitor and a keyboard. I'm still looking for the same with Bluetooth so i can use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Some stuff here I don't need in this unit but a lot of the features are bundled even when I am custom building the spec.

$891.09 Computer
ThinkCenterM900 - Tiny
Part number: 10FMCTO1WW
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700T 2.8G 4C
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Form Factor: Tiny Q170
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133 SoDIMM
Video Adapter: Integrated Graphic Card
First Graphic Dongle: DP to DVI
Second Graphic Dongle: None
Third Graphic Dongle: None
DP Port: Optional DP Port
Hard Drive: 500GB HD 7200RPM 2.5" SATA3
M.2 Storage Card: NONE
Optical Device: None
Networking: Integrated Ethernet
WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel 8260+BT 2x2ac Tiny vPro
Keyboard: USB Fullsize Keyboard Black - English
Mouse: None
Vertical Stand: Vertical Stand Tiny
Dust Shield: Dust Shield TINY
Speakers: Internal Speaker Tiny

Warranty: 1 Year On-site
External Monitor: ThinkVision E1922 18.5-inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor.
There are much better deals out there if you get the idea out of your head that you have to buy new (as opposed to refurbished). Here, for example, is a PC that is faster, has more RAM, and more hard drive space, plus you can choose your own monitor and still come out saving hundreds of dollars: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6485-Blue-Iris-Hardware-Recommendations?p=88307&viewfull=1#post88307

Although I admit most powerful PCs are not as small as that Lenovo ThinkCenter, how much is a small size really worth to you?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's no good and Howell is a decent area but when you add that factor it makes sense.

FYI that build does have Bluetooth built into the wirelessWiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel 8260+BT 2x2ac Tiny vPro .
I assume your liking this because of the small form factor of it?
Yes, I have two small building and space is a premium. I will also have to put the modem, router, switch, monitor, keyboard, and computer, in the same location on a shelf or something that will lock up and bolt to the wall or something. The bad guys will want to steal all of that as well as the cameras too.

View attachment 9330

Attachments

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are much better deals out there if you get the idea out of your head that you have to buy new (as opposed to refurbished). Here, for example, is a PC that is faster, has more RAM, and more hard drive space, plus you can choose your own monitor and still come out saving hundreds of dollars: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6485-Blue-Iris-Hardware-Recommendations?p=88307&viewfull=1#post88307

Although I admit most powerful PCs are not as small as that Lenovo ThinkCenter, how much is a small size really worth to you?
So you are referencing the:
[h=1]HP Pavilion 550-177c Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-6700 3.4Ghz 12GB 1TB DVDRW Windows 10 Home (Certified Refurbished)[/h]I'm not against saving money, or buying refurbished hardware. however, I need the win pro OS so I can retain comparability with my home laptop and effect remote control. Also the monitor in the Lenovo spec was $99, I just was so far unable to to find another PC that matched my needs. I could save a few dollars if I search for a used monitor.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use a program such as Teamviewer if you want to remote to it. You can even do it from your smart phones. I use it all the time for my family back in Michigan to work on their systems. As far as monitors and keyboards they can be had for cheap on amazon or newegg. Also if your ever near Madison Heights the Microcenter there has really good deals on such things as monitors and such.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use a program such as Teamviewer if you want to remote to it.
I checked the web site for Teamviewer and it sounds good. Do you have any experience with it? Do you know if you can use it to access BI and effect all the BI controls and config setup protocols,etc?