Mac Safari Remotely to P2P Camera

MikeV99

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I use Safari on my Mac laptop to access my P2P camera using a hotel wifi hot spot?

Thanks

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't you just access the P2P address or gateway directly on your Safari browser? I thought that is the purpose of p2p in the first place.

MikeV99

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't you just access the P2P address or gateway directly on your Safari browser? I thought that is the purpose of p2p in the first place.
How do I find the P2P address or gateway? The camera sends a packet to a P2P directory server somewhere and announces that is is online. I have vendor specific apps on my iPad/iPhone that know the address of the directory server and uses it to find out the location of the camera.

I have a Mac app, but it only works locally. I can type in the local network ip address (192.168.1.nnn) and it logs into the camera.

I know my internet IP address I get via DHCP from Suddenlink. But I do not know what to do with that since the camera setup the peer-to-peer network.

I have this information that is in the camera, but what do I do with it?

p2pcam.mycamdns.com
p2pal.P2PLiveCam.com

I have changed my camera's password but would like to verify it is not open to the world as well as figure out how to access the camera when I travel. The manual and vendor have not been of much use.

MikeV99

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured it out. Actually it is pretty easy. I setup a dynamic dns name to my external ip address. I then changed the camera server's port number and password. (BTW this is a big hole - everyone should change the default no password). I then did port forwarding from a selected port to the LAN ip address with the new port number. I log into the camera server and have access to the camera and the camera server. I am basically bypassing the P2P directory server.

Edit:

I see now that P2P is to make it easy for mobile device apps to find the camera. However, it is also possible to use the device's browser. These cameras have major security holes. My camera had a default port of 80 and no password (and a dumb userid). The P2P default password is not much better. No wonder there are 100,000 publicly viewable cameras out there. Most cameras are made in China. That gives them a big window to look at the world if they wish. I may disable P2P if I can.

Last edited by a moderator: