MacOS SmartPSS 2.0 exporting clips via the scissor tool off by one hour

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While trying to export video on the newest MacOS SmartPSS 2.0, I found that it was exporting video from +1hour of what I was asking. My settings are all good... times on DVR and cameras all match up. See demo in my video below:

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So further testing shows that any of my recordings prior to switching to DST are okay... as soon as try to export anything recorded after 3/12/2017, the scissor is 1 hour ahead of the timeline.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got this problem too, and I've seen at least one other mention it in the 5216 thread.

To make it work, I've got to figure out the times I want to snip, and then snip an hour before that. Fun. :/

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got this problem too, and I've seen at least one other mention it in the 5216 thread.

To make it work, I've got to figure out the times I want to snip, and then snip an hour before that. Fun. :/
Thanks for confirming. Are you on MacOS too? I'm curious if this problem is present on Windows too but I don't have a Windows machine to try.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am. Just updated to macOS 10.12.4. I think I installed it (as a test) on a Windows 7 VM I had running in Fusion and had the same issue, but I'm not 100% on that. Will try tomorrow.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have this problem. I use Windows and an android phone. I use an NVR.

Additional symptoms:
- In SmartPSS, I wanted to playback an IVS event that occurred at 12:13am. ie: 00:13:xx
- the playback started with the IVS event. I wanted to see the video that preceded the tripwire event. It couldn't/wouldn't play.
- I clicked on the green portion of the timeline at 12:10am. Playback would jump ahead to the orange portion, ie: the event file.
- it also wouldn't playback the non-event footage immediately after the IVS event.
My hunch: until 1am, we're in "negative time". ie: If 01:00:00 is interpreted as 00:00:00, then 00:13:00 is -1 hour earlier. (negative 1 hour)

Next symptom:
- emailed snapshots report times that are off by one hour.
- in gmail INBOX on my Windows PC, the email shows as received at 5:30am
- when I open the email, the header shows it's an email received at 6:30 am.
- the snapshot shows 5:30am in the pic itself.
-a 1 hour problem.
- And SmartPSS is not involved.

Next symptom:
- emailed snapshots to my android are correct.
- in gmail INBOX on android, the above email shows as received at 5:30am
- when I open the email, the header shows it's an email received at 5:30 am.
- the snapshot shows 5:30am in the pic itself.
- no problem

Export:
- SmartPSS: I've had success in exporting video using a manually changed time that has a 1 hour offset.
- NVR web gui: No problem.

My conclusions:
- This "One Hour Problem" isn't due to SmartPPS, because I have a one hour problem with emailed snapshots to my Windows 10 and Windows Vista laptops to access my gmail inbox.
- I don't have a one hour problem with emailed snapshots to my android phone that I use to access my gmail inbox.
- I can't blame SmartPSS
The corrupted time is due to something else.....

I've checked:
- the time setting in all cams (surfed to 'em directly).
- All are set to use DST
- The NVR time setting is correct. NVR is set to use DST.

Next troubleshooting:
- If there's a "negative time" between 00:00:00 and 01:00:00, then I'm curious what happens after 22:59:59 actual time
- When SmartPSS thinks it's 23:59:59, does it keep recording, eg: 24:00:01?
- I'll also check log file for symptoms/errors...

Fastb

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Export:
- SmartPSS: I've had success in exporting video using a manually changed time that has a 1 hour offset.
How are you manually changing the time? Are you just moving the scissor area by an hour on the timeline from what you really want or is there some other way to specify the time to export without the scissor tool? I'd be okay with being able to export manually without the scissor tool to workaround this.

I don't think I have this issue with the old version of SmartPSS (< 2.0) on my Mac but the scissor tool worked differently, IVS events don't show up, and I can't export to MP4 with that old version.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My one-hour problem started when DST kicked in. After I made the DST settings identical between the nvr and all the cameras it cleared up after a day. It took me several tries to get all the settings right. None of the units connect to an NTP server.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@jayson436

Sorry for the delay.
How are you manually changing the time? Are you just moving the scissor area by an hour on the timeline from what you really want or is there some other way to specify the time to export without the scissor tool?
I found a few ways, based on ease.
1) Use the web ui from the NVR. It doesn't have the 1 hour problem.
2) Use SmartPSS.
2.1) While viewing in playback, click the scissor. The box that appears on the timeline will show a time that's one hour after the time displayed on the image in playback.
2.2) Keep viewing until you reach the end of the portion you want to export. Jot down the time.
2.3) Move the left side of the pop-up box on the timeline to the left exactly one hour.
2.4) Move the right side of the box to the left one hour (to the time you jotted down)
2.5 Now click the scissor for the 2nd time.
2.6) The export box pops up. Choose format, export.
3) jot down the true start and stop times of the desired export footage.
3.1) Subtract one hour. Start playback on the timeline using the modified start time. Click the scissor.
3.2) Move the right side line to the modified stop time. Click scissor. Export.
3.3) The exported video will be what you want, even though you used modified times for the event.

I haven't found a way to directly enter the Start and Stop times for an export capability in SmartPSS.

I hope that helps.

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1

After I made the DST settings identical between the nvr and all the cameras it cleared up after a day..... None of the units connect to an NTP server.
My NVR and all cams have DST enabled, and for the same week & day to "spring forward" and to "fall back"
All cams synchronize with an ntp server. I had a different ntp server on 2 cams. They are now all pointed at the same NTP server, including the NVR.
All cams display the correct time in Live View when I surf to their ip addr on my system's subnet.

It took me several tries to get all the settings right.
Could you elaborate? Maybe not all my settings "are right"...

Also, I still have a time problem with snapshots sent to my gmail account, when viewed using Pale Moon or Firefox.
Details:
At 8:57:20 AM, an IVS tripwire event caused a snapshot to be emailed to me. Below is how it appears in the inbox, with an 8:57am timestamp.

upload_2017-4-2_15-8-2.png

When I open the email, the email shows a 5:57pm timestamp the night before.

upload_2017-4-2_15-4-15.png

When I expand the email header, it also shows 5:57pm

upload_2017-4-2_15-5-37.png

Conclusion:
The browsers choke on the time stamp, by more than an hour.
SmartPSS chokes on time, by exactly one hour.

Any ideas?

Fastb

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Responding to: "It took me several tries to get all the settings right.", all I meant was that when I did the DST setup for all of my cameras, there were a few random places where I didn't get it right, and had to make a few passes to get every camera setting identical. Just like when I don't say something that's totally clear on the first try, as I did here. I noticed today that I had one camera set to GMT+8, when it should be GMT-8. Maybe that doesn't matter when talking to a time server is disabled. But sheesh, I still can't get it right!