Mad at a neighbor...

B3n1254

n3wb
Reaction score
For over a year now a neighbor of mine has had 2 cameras pointed at my home. She knows when I come home and when I leave. Yes she even use to be able to see inside my home until I had a curtain put into place. Now with things getting worse with my living situation and my sister and her kids moving in I don't want their privacy taken away. To add context to the madness i was hospitalized close to a year ago because of paranoia, anxiety, and depression. It got so bad about that time frame that i had the thought to take my own life. Life was hell and it took a turn when my neighbor put up the cameras. I broke down. I thought the only way out was just to end it... Until I eventually got help when my brother in law got a hold of me and took me to get hospitalized against my will. That being said I know the one camera is in a legal gray zone where it watches me and if you want to say the rest of the road... Sure we can may be say that too. However the other one is pointed into the back door of my house. What can be done about it? Also to add to this what POE cameras do you recommend for blue iris? I plan on setting up my own personal system (5 cameras starting small... 1080 or 4k) as well so that way maybe this game of war between the neighbors can come at some kind of stand still. I don't want any kind of nasty flair ups between she and I BUT she is the reason (my tipping point) I went into therapy finally to get help. Will provide photos as proof if need be!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For over a year now a neighbor of mine has had 2 cameras pointed at my home. She knows when I come home and when I leave. Yes she even use to be able to see inside my home until I had a curtain put into place. Now with things getting worse with my living situation and my sister and her kids moving in I don't want their privacy taken away. To add context to the madness i was hospitalized close to a year ago because of paranoia, anxiety, and depression. It got so bad about that time frame that i had the thought to take my own life. Life was hell and it took a turn when my neighbor put up the cameras. I broke down. I thought the only way out was just to end it... Until I eventually got help when my brother in law got a hold of me and took me to get hospitalized against my will. That being said I know the one camera is in a legal gray zone where it watches me and if you want to say the rest of the road... Sure we can may be say that too. However the other one is pointed into the back door of my house. What can be done about it? Also to add to this what POE cameras do you recommend for blue iris? I plan on setting up my own personal system (5 cameras starting small... 1080 or 4k) as well so that way maybe this game of war between the neighbors can come at some kind of stand still. I don't want any kind of nasty flair ups between she and I BUT she is the reason (my tipping point) I went into therapy finally to get help. Will provide photos as proof if need be!
HI @B3n1254

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Each state us the USA has different laws, as well as various cities also has variations. So you're probably better off looking for advice from someone who knows the legal issues in your area.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you are with us today!

Unfortunately, as you know all too well, it is not uncommon for people to feel uncomfortable in the presence of a security camera. There are many complex reasons for this. Some people don't like having their picture taken. Others are really bothered by the idea that someone unseen could be watching them. It makes you think the owner of the camera doesn't trust you for some reason. Especially if you think the camera is pointed at your property, this is a completely understandable reaction!

I hope that installing your own cameras helps you to become more comfortable around them. You may soon realize through firsthand experience how difficult it is to install a camera outdoors (in a town or city) and not have it coincidentally pointed at someone else's stuff.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAM

^^^^ @Barboots suggestion would also work. :)

Have you thought about planting a tree or bush that would obstruct the view of the cameras?

My neighbour had reservations about my cameras and I gladly showed him that I intentionally block out the view to his backyard.

Reaction score
Hey @B3n1254,

I am just starting out too. My advice to you and this is just me repeating what others have said is the read the cliffnotes (IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk). Read until you understand what is being talked about, if it doesn't make sense to you try searching the forums, most times the question you might want to ask has already been answered. I'm still reading the same things over and over again. 1080 vs 4k has its advantages and disadvantages. Please check out the tools that are offered for free on this forum then you will be able make a better decision on the goals you want to achieve with each camera.