Mail theft and credit cards

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw on the Nextdoor website where neighbors got a credit card in the mail that they didn't apply for. Police told them thieves possibly planned to steal the card from their mailbox after applying for it? Not sure about that but one person posted this link that is interesting, where you can opt out of receiving credit card offers in the mail.

optoutprescreen.com

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably best to freeze your credit report from the big 3 credit reporting bureaus, yourself. I have had my credit frozen for the last 10 years. That has dramatically reduced the spam CC mailings I was receiving.

A credit freeze keeps the sensitive data in your credit files from being accessed without your specific consent. That can protect you from fraudulent credit applications, even if a criminal has key information such as your birthdate and Social Security number.

To unfreeze, go to the credit bureau website and use the PIN or password you used to freeze your credit to unfreeze your credit. You can also unfreeze your credit by phone or postal mail if you can provide the PIN established when the freeze was set up. Unless you use postal mail, unfreezing takes effect within minutes of requesting it.