Make a system for me please.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to replace my lorex system. I would like some help from you put together, a 8 cameras system. All outdoor economic or no super expensive, need included the nvr. I see some Dahua videos and they are amazing.Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Have you 100% chosen to go the NVR route? Or is consideration to go windows PC/Blue Iris route?
Will the cameras be wired or wireless?
What is the general max $$$$ for 8 cameras that is your limit?
Which recording alerts are you concerned about: daytime, nightime, both?

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you 100% chosen to go the NVR route? Or is consideration to go windows PC/Blue Iris route?
Will the cameras be wired or wireless?
What is the general max $$$$ for 8 cameras that is your limit?
Which recording alerts are you concerned about: daytime, nightime, both?
All cameras wired I have the cables all ready installed cat 5.
Blue iris maybe a 2nd option I will need a lot of reading first.
Cameras daytime and nigth time.
I own a lorex system but not too happy with the images. Links would be nice.
I would like paid less than $1000 if is possible.
Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Last year when I specced a Blue Iris system with 7 good cameras, the total equipment cost came to $1909. Almost $1200 of that was the cameras.

Most of the cameras came from Andy's Amazon store. One fisheye cam from ebay. The PC from ebay. Other stuff from Amazon (network cable, switches, SSD, hard drive, two ubiquiti radios for a point to point wireless bridge, Displayport to HDMI cable, keyboard/mouse). They already had a TV to hook up the PC to, but other than that it was all new purchases. So if your existing cameras are IP cameras, you could reuse those in a new system and swap them out for better cameras over time. It is also possible in many cases to pull video streams from the NVR into Blue Iris in case Blue Iris can't get video from the cameras directly. That is what I did about 8 years ago with my shitty K-guard DVR to fill in the gaps before I got enough IP cams.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe I can start with less cameras. But a decent ones. My lorex system even is 4K now I know is no that good. I only have the system like 7 months. But some recent event make me think in a better system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I can start with less cameras. But a decent ones. My lorex system even is 4K now I know is no that good. I only have the system like 7 months. But some recent event make me think in a better system.
Looking to replace my lorex system. I would like some help from you put together, a 8 cameras system. All outdoor economic or no super expensive, need included the nvr. I see some Dahua videos and they are amazing.Thanks in advance.
Hi @oknoob

It would be very helpful if we knew more about the current system.
1) What do you have? ( brand lorex, .. so that like saying you own a Ford / Toyota / Chevy.. but does not tell the full story )
2) What do you like about it?
3) What is not working well?

If you have sample images to show what you want / need that also helps.

Thanks

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @oknoob

It would be very helpful if we knew more about the current system.
1) What do you have? ( brand lorex, .. so that like saying you own a Ford / Toyota / Chevy.. but does not tell the full story )
2) What do you like about it?
3) What is not working well?

If you have sample images to show what you want / need that also helps.

Thanks
Hi Mat200 and thanks for reply.
I have the NVR N841A8-Z 4k ultra HD Lorex
And 8 E891AB Deterrence IP cameras Lorex got the system over a yr from Big store.
Actually the image during the Day is no that bad if is close to the cameras.
All cameras are connected with lorex cables cat 5 exterior cables.
I dont like the nigth image or the recording. In special the ones i need the most front house and driveway.
Here is some pictures,u see how bad this looks? There is a guy trying to open a neighbor truck,and riding the bike.I contact lorex support and guest what= no solution the guy told me that is the best i will get.
Any extra suggestions welcome.Thanks

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200 and thanks for reply.
I have the NVR N841A8-Z 4k ultra HD Lorex
And 8 E891AB Deterrence IP cameras Lorex got the system over a yr from Big store.
Actually the image during the Day is no that bad if is close to the cameras.
All cameras are connected with lorex cables cat 5 exterior cables.
I dont like the nigth image or the recording. In special the ones i need the most front house and driveway.
Here is some pictures,u see how bad this looks? There is a guy trying to open a neighbor truck,and riding the bike.I contact lorex support and guest what= no solution the guy told me that is the best i will get.
Any extra suggestions welcome.Thanks
Hi @oknoob

Excellent information. This will actually help out a lot.

Pardon me, I will use this opportunity to help guide you to the right answer. Please take the time to answer as I will take some of my time to help you out.

Data: See camera specs below and "....I contact lorex support and guest what= no solution the guy told me that is the best i will get."

Q1: Is this your first security / surveillance camera?
Q2: Where are your expectations coming from for what you should be able to see at that distance, and at night?
Q3: Do you have examples from others with security camera capture footage you can comparing your cameras to?
Q4: Did you want a wide angle camera?
Q5: Did you want a "4K" "4K UHD" 8MP camera?
Q6: How far away is the suspect you want to get a good potential ID image on?
Q:7 How many pixels per foot ( for those in the USA, for others pixels per meter ) do you need for a good facial ID image?
Q8: Have you read the cliff notes?
Q9: Did you read the section on DORI?
Q10: What if the H FOV of the camera?
Q11: What is the H Resolution of the camera?
Q12: What is the size of the sensor in the camera? How many pixels?
Q13: What would the ID distance be if such a spec'ed camera had 100% effective pixels?

It is ok to try and answer.. you get full credit for making a real meaningful attempt to answer these questions. Seriously, take the time and you will get a much better setup without wasting money. We will help guide you to the possible solutions.

Ref:
Lorex E891AB Camera

1595046084044.png

Spec Sheet:

Product Specifications

General
Video Transmission Technology IP
Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8” CMOS
Video Format NTSC
Video Compression H.265/H.264H (Main Stream & Sub Stream)

Optical
Viewing Angle (Horizontal) 111°
Lens/Lens type 2.8mm F1.6/ Fixed
Video Output Resolution/Frame rate 4K(8MP) @ 15fps, 4MP@ 20fps, 3MP, 2MP @30fps
Effective Pixels H:3840 x V:2160
HDR Yes
Termination RJ45

Audio
Microphone/Speaker Yes/Yes
Siren Yes
2-Way Talk Yes

Night Vision
IR Night Vision Range 150ft (45m)/ 98ft (30m)
Color Night Vision™ Yes

Model Information
Special Features
Deterrence Yes - Warning Light + Siren + 2-Way Talk
Smart Features Person and Vehicle Smart Motion Detection
Additional Specifications
Camera Housing Material Aluminum Alloy
Power Requirements PoE (Power over Ethernet) Class 0 / 12V DC
Power Consumption (max) 900mA / 10.8W
Camera Dimensions (W x D x H) 2.9” × 7.2” × 2.9” (74mm × 184mm × 74mm)
Camera Weight 1.15lbs / 0.52kg
Operating Temperature -4°F ~ 122°F /-20°C ~ 50°C Humidity < 95% RH
Environmental Rating IP67 (Indoor/Outdoor)

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1-Yes is my first security camera system.
2- And want be able to at least see a face or any extra details.
3- I watch some videos and captures from this forum and videos from internet.But a lot of videos from here are real good.
4- Not really a wide angle camera as long I have 1 in a great location in front of the house and 1 in the driveway that cover the whole front of the house around 50' wide total.unless is needed.
5- Now the one I have is promoted as 4K, I know now is all gimmicks.I just want anything that give me a good clean image.
6- Maximum like 30 to 40 '. Those pictures was taken at that distance. Or a little less like 25'.
7- No ideas how many pixels, sorry.
8- I will start to read asap, but as I'm new into the cameras world can take me some time.
9- No but I will look into
10- I can't find the FOV.
11- 4k ? Not sure
12- 2.8 mm. F1.6/Fixed?
13- I don't know
I know is a learning experience and want said Thanks for your time and patience.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3- I watch some videos and captures from this forum and videos from internet.But a lot of videos from here are real good.
4- Not really a wide angle camera as long I have 1 in a great location in front of the house and 1 in the driveway that cover the whole front of the house around 50' wide total.unless is needed.
5- Now the one I have is promoted as 4K, I know now is all gimmicks.I just want anything that give me a good clean image.
6- Maximum like 30 to 40 '. Those pictures was taken at that distance. Or a little less like 25'.
8- I will start to read asap, but as I'm new into the cameras world can take me some time.
11- 4k ? Not sure
12- 2.8 mm. F1.6/Fixed?
13- I don't know
I know is a learning experience and want said Thanks for your time and patience.
Hi @oknoob

Q1: Is this your first security / surveillance camera?
Reply:
How do you know how to rate your cameras based on current tech available, example do they [ "suck", "are ok", "are good", "are fantastic" ]?

A lot of us have a very skewed perception of what a security / surveillance camera is capable of due to Hollywood misrepresentations "enhance enhance enhance.. "

For a kit under $1000 for 8 cameras, those cameras actually have decent specs.

Q2: Where are your expectations coming from for what you should be able to see at that distance, and at night?
Reply:
See the Cliff Notes starting at: Camera Setting Suggestions For Facial Identification

Q3: Do you have examples from others with security camera capture footage you can comparing your cameras to?
Reply:
Comparing your cameras with what others who are not on this forum will give you a better idea of how good your's are compared to cameras most typically pick up.
Suggest looking for similar distance image captures from Ring, Nest, Reolink,..

The best videos here are from closer image captures, or cameras which have been customized to capture images better, and / or pricier cameras.

Q4: Did you want a wide angle camera?
Reply:
The camera's typically included in kits have wider FOVs, and thus shorter ID distances. For example typical 8MP cameras I see have ID distances of 20-25 feet.

Q5: Did you want a "4K" "4K UHD" 8MP camera?
Reply:
What is defined as a good clean image.
Have you tried testing this?
Example:
Walk towards the camera at a point you want the camera to do an image capture, hold a larger sign with letters, and pause every 5 feet. Try this both during the day and at night.
( example start at 50' away and pause every 5' until you are 5' away from the camera.. at what point is the image acceptable to you ? )

Q6: How far away is the suspect you want to get a good potential ID image on?
Reply:
See the Cliff Notes DORI section

Q:7 How many pixels per foot ( for those in the USA, for others pixels per meter ) do you need for a good facial ID image?
Reply:
See the Cliff Notes DORI section look for "..represents a number in the middle, and makes the calculations easier. " That will have the magic number we like to use.

Q8: Have you read the cliff notes?
Reply:
Good most of your answers start there.

Q9: Did you read the section on DORI?
Reply:
Excellent. Lots of work was put in to make the cliff notes.

Q10: What if the H FOV of the camera?
Reply:
See the Camera spec sheet: "Viewing Angle (Horizontal) "

Q11: What is the H Resolution of the camera?
11- 4k ? Not sure
Reply:
See the Camera spec sheet: Effective Pixels

Q12: What is the size of the sensor in the camera? How many pixels?
12- 2.8 mm. F1.6/Fixed?
Reply:
That's the Lens/Lens type . See the camera spec sheet Image Sensor

Q13: What would the ID distance be if such a spec'ed camera had 100% effective pixels?
13- I don't know
Reply:
See the Cliff Notes: The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) ...

Thanks, please don't return the kit until you've taken some time to learn what is going on. ( iirc you should have a good return policy on that kit, and the cameras from that kit are better than many other kits I have seen in that price range )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those cams are 2.8mm wide angle lenses. You will never be able to ID someone on the sidewalk from those cams in their present position. This is what @mat200 is trying to lead you to in the above post. We all here hope to get you to a basic knowledge level so that you can do the best in your system planning and install. Wide angle, AKA overview cams, are nice to see what happened. But to get a good face shot of a perp, a cam has to be properly aimed and zoomed in the area of interest. Most folks here would have one cam as an overview of your front yard, maybe two tops. We would then have 2-4 cams with narrower FOV positioned as such to get a good face or whole body shot of perps in specific locations.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cams are 2.8mm wide angle lenses. You will never be able to ID someone on the sidewalk from those cams in their present position. This is what @mat200 is trying to lead you to in the above post. We all here hope to get you to a basic knowledge level so that you can do the best in your system planning and install. Wide angle, AKA overview cams, are nice to see what happened. But to get a good face shot of a perp, a cam has to be properly aimed and zoomed in the area of interest. Most folks here would have one cam as an overview of your front yard, maybe two tops. We would then have 2-4 cams with narrower FOV positioned as such to get a good face or whole body shot of perps in specific locations.
Great I start to understand my situation.Thank for the right information and your time.