Make camera access through VPN

Reaction score
I have a Imou Ranger 2 camera. It works correctly with its own Android app.

The camera does not use IP Forwarding (have uPNP disabled). I don't know how the app communicates to my home network.

Does it bounce off AWS or some other Chinese server?

I have a OpenVPN server. Can someone explain how I can make the app use my VPN link. How can I check out is only using the VPN?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Can you use the app on your home network ? Turn off the cell on your phone and use wifi.
2) if 1) works then you should be able to connect your cell phone to the home network via OpenVPN then connect to the camera. When openVPN is active on your cell phone you are on your home network.

Please read the WIKI on network security, If you can access your camera remotely with a cell phone, more than likely you have open ports one your router.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera does not use IP Forwarding (have uPNP disabled). I don't know how the app communicates to my home network.

Does it bounce off AWS or some other Chinese server?
It either relays through their server or (most likely) it uses the server to somehow punch a hole through your router's nat/firewall. This appears to be a nice summary of methods to tunnel through a nat/firewall:

Reaction score
I will read up on the web pages suggested.

I can use imou's own app on home wifi or while using cell data.
My router has one port open, for OpenVPN and uPNP is disabled.