Make Your Doors Secure with this Easy Trick ( affordable mod to do to your front door to reduce odds of brute force attack success )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CarryTrainer

Mickey shares how to kick proof your doors with this simple affordable door modification using a 1/8 inch steel bar.

Securing Entry Doors - Burglar Proof Doors

1632244456306.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Great DIY solution for those wanting to do the same. Things to consider is this is just one of several areas that need to be reinforced so a breach can be slowed down.

All of this starts with a solid door frame assembly that covers the king / Jack studs. The door obviously needs to be stout while balancing energy efficiency.

Next is using grade 1 lock sets for both the door knob & deadbolt. That is fortified by a cover plate for both. Next is the door hinge, strike plate, door jamb, and 3-4” grade 5 or better screws that indicate sheer force specifications.

This product from Armour Concepts has been the cornerstone of every security install we’ve done:

One of the cheapest and easiest security accessories is this Door Guardian. Once installed it’s impossible to pick / bump a lock set. Keep in mind this obviously is intended while at home.

All of these solutions are to provide you time so you can react accordingly. This is known in the security industry as Force Protection which is one of the four rings of security.

The above solutions should always use a out-swinging security door. As it requires more than 200-500% more force to pull vs push given the same force applied to breach a door.

Force Protection should always be the first level of protection before alarm systems, cameras, etc.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I installed on my Front/Back doors:

They come with long screws, make sure you drill pilot holes, read reviews of screws breaking, pretty sure they did not...

1632267878690.png

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for posting @mat200. I already have the longer screws, but I don't have the gap between the door and jamb for the commercial plates. I just need to pop some trim off to see if this will work.

Reaction score
Good stuff. I have actually been thinking about something like this....still in the 'thinking' stage...

1632392339905.png
And I have already installed one of these, mostly to make the Mrs. feel better..
1632394700437.png

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We installed these once our grandson learned how to open a door knob. These things doubled in price, crazy...Pretty much have them at the same height as on the below picture. We have a pool so having it locked while our grandson visits gives us all peace of mind. We also lock them at night too...
They are easy to install...

1632396705232.png1632396772037.png
1632396666807.png

Reaction score
We installed a front door with this security system. Unfortunately, we live in a neighborhood where small and large crimes often occur. Several of our neighbors suffered from burglars who stole all their valuables from their home while they were at work. The police are not always willing to protect local residents from such incidents, so we decided to protect ourselves and our property.
You do realize that you are responding to a more than year old stale thread, Right?

You joined today and your first post to an IP Camera forum is in this thread? Not anything about IP Cams?

Seems kind of strange to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that you are responding to a more than year old stale thread, Right?

You joined today and your first post to an IP Camera forum is in this thread? Not anything about IP Cams?

Seems kind of strange to me.
Its a spam post. They are pretty advanced now reading the thread and using ai to post something related to the post.