Managed POE switch advantages or not that much with cctv

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After I realised the limitations of my initial purchase of an unmanaged 8 port POE switch ( TP-Link TL-SG1008PE), I bought a 16 port, 8 POE + 8 (TL-SG1016PE). The background to the new purchase was the issue of me dealing with the camera subnet which my 8 camera Hikvision NVR system imposes, and which interferes with the ability to directly manage and configure cameras with ONVIF or Dahua etc software. The TL-SG1016PE offers me greater flexibility to access the cameras' subnet, to experiment later with an alternative connected BI PC system. Incidentally a couple of planned PTZ cameras are likely to be powered directly, ie not via POE.

The TL-SG1016PE has Easy Smart, management via a web GUI and a Configuration Utility. As far as I see an unmanaged 16 port switch 8 POE+8 will fit my requirements. So are there any advantages in being able to use any features of TP-Link's Easy Smart features?

The TL-SG1016PE has been powered up and working,

What are the advantages of having QoS, VLAN, IGMP Snooping features, the network switch will be on Hikvision NVR's subnet anyway. Easy Smart's cable test feature I sort of can appreciate.

Any advantage with having a switch with TP-Link's Easy Smart feature?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the camera subnet which my 8 camera Hikvision NVR system imposes
My assumption from this is that the NVR has PoE ports.

The background to the new purchase was the issue of me dealing with the camera subnet which my 8 camera Hikvision NVR system imposes, and which interferes with the ability to directly manage and configure cameras with ONVIF or Dahua etc software.
This sounds like you may not have enabled the 'Virtual Host' facility that gives direct access to NVR PoE-connected cameras web GUI via the NVR.
Enabled under Network | Advanced Settings | Other
Used by the resulting links in the right column of Camera Management.

So are there any advantages in being able to use any features of TP-Link's Easy Smart features?
If the camera wiring is inaccessible, for that rare occasion where you might want to power cycle a camera via the keyboard.

the network switch will be on Hikvision NVR's subnet anyway.
Do you mean that you will be connecting the switch upllink to an NVR PoE port? Presumably not as you've said it's a PoE switch.
But if so I believe that means the NVR will only connect to one of the cameras on the switch.
It's the term 'NVR subnet' that's confusing me.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have Virtual Host enables and it's working. I can power the cameras either direct from the NVR or from the network switch.