Managed vs. unmanaged PoE switch

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently use an unmanaged 8-port PoE switch (4 powered, 4 un-powered) as part of my network. It was a real plug and play set-up and has been completely reliable without any intervention. But now I'm looking to add cameras and devices and need more ports. There's definitely a point where PoE switches with the power budget I need and the number of ports I want become "managed" switches.

Is it possible to use a managed switch in the most basic way (with as little set-up by me) so that it operates like an unmanaged one?

I'd love suggestions for a 16 port switch (8 powered up to 30w) with a large budget and easy set-up.

TJH

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently use an unmanaged 8-port PoE switch (4 powered, 4 un-powered) as part of my network. It was a real plug and play set-up and has been completely reliable without any intervention. But now I'm looking to add cameras and devices and need more ports. There's definitely a point where PoE switches with the power budget I need and the number of ports I want become "managed" switches.

Is it possible to use a managed switch in the most basic way (with as little set-up by me) so that it operates like an unmanaged one?

I'd love suggestions for a 16 port switch (8 powered up to 30w) with a large budget and easy set-up.

TJH
you can simply add another switch and connect it to the one your already have. There are also lots of 16 port unmanaged switches if that is the route you want to go.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The Cisco managed switch that I use is simple plug-and-play in it's default configuration. I'm assuming all of them are the same, but you're of course at risk of my possible bad assumption. Some of the managed features are handy (I don't use many), especially status functions. My switch is not easily inaccessible, so I can remotely monitor things like the traffic status and poe power consumption on each port. If I need to reboot a camera, I can remotely toggle the port power. If the switch is easily accessible, most of this can be done by looking at the lights and temporarily disconnecting the cables. There are good deals to be had on used small business class switches. Just make sure you don't get a power hog dinosaur.

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got a new 16 port managed switch on order. Time to add more cams.