manual snapshot or manual record Greyed out

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me just say I did NOT update this time. LIterally! lol!

Noticed I was getting some HW VA cannot be used error, found out its my hardware cannot use Intel HW HD Acceleration (for whatever reason).

I am using my Cameras HARDWARE to decode with direct to disc, originally had it set to h265 and I think that was the problem, changed it to h264.

Started to record, noticed my files were much larger, and noticed my file names were named weird for me (default).

Changed the naming scheme of the files. Restarted my recordings and now I am getting

manual snapshot or manual record greyed out.

Restarted, still greyed out. Appears to record though. (set to continuous).

Why are these features randomly just greyed out now?

ANNNNNNNNNND they are back....

Double You Tee Eff Man!

and gone again

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me just say I did NOT update this time. LIterally! lol!

Noticed I was getting some HW VA cannot be used error, found out its my hardware cannot use Intel HW HD Acceleration (for whatever reason).

I am using my Cameras HARDWARE to decode with direct to disc, originally had it set to h265 and I think that was the problem, changed it to h264.

Started to record, noticed my files were much larger, and noticed my file names were named weird for me (default).

Changed the naming scheme of the files. Restarted my recordings and now I am getting

manual snapshot or manual record greyed out.

Restarted, still greyed out. Appears to record though. (set to continuous).

Why are these features randomly just greyed out now?

ANNNNNNNNNND they are back....

Double You Tee Eff Man!

and gone again
First, you are not using the cameras hardware to decode anything. Direct to disk and HA are use in tandem for optimal results.
you cpu must support intel hd with quicksync for HA to work. That is the reason. And second gen i possessors are limited to 1080p HA.
File size is dependent on the camera bitrate set. You change that IN THE CAMERA.
you must have changed something other than the file names for the options to be grayed out. Ensure you are logged into windows as admin.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So

1) when camera is set to h265 and hardware accelerated turned on I get that error.

When camera is set to h264 and hardware accelerated turned on I do NOT get that error.

When camera is set to h265 and hardware accelerated turned OFF I do NOT get that error.

So I figured (as you have said in previous posts) that even if I have direct to disc HA still does some decoding for web/live view.

So I attribute that my HA/cpu cannot decode the h265 stream in “live view”

2) yes adjusted the bit rate however h264 in general is still “larger” than similar bitrate h265

3) I thought so too so

4) the greyed out of those two come and go randomly. Sometimes just stopping and starting (traffic signal) fixes it. Sometimes I think it greys out when it creates a new continuous file (have it set to 1hr). Sometimes if I open up camera properties and close it it comes back. Sometimes restarting the cameras it comes back. Sometimes closing the program and opening it (leaving services running) fixes it. So I have attributed it to a bug somewhere. It does NOT affect continuous recording NOR triggers so I am not that worrried currently.

Do you have any other thoughts on that HA VA error based on the tests I did? And is it that big of a deal if it does show that error?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So

1) when camera is set to h265 and hardware accelerated turned on I get that error.

When camera is set to h264 and hardware accelerated turned on I do NOT get that error.

When camera is set to h265 and hardware accelerated turned OFF I do NOT get that error.

So I figured (as you have said in previous posts) that even if I have direct to disc HA still does some decoding for web/live view.

So I attribute that my HA/cpu cannot decode the h265 stream in “live view”

2) yes adjusted the bit rate however h264 in general is still “larger” than similar bitrate h265

3) I thought so too so

4) the greyed out of those two come and go randomly. Sometimes just stopping and starting (traffic signal) fixes it. Sometimes I think it greys out when it creates a new continuous file (have it set to 1hr). Sometimes if I open up camera properties and close it it comes back. Sometimes restarting the cameras it comes back. Sometimes closing the program and opening it (leaving services running) fixes it. So I have attributed it to a bug somewhere. It does NOT affect continuous recording NOR triggers so I am not that worrried currently.

Do you have any other thoughts on that HA VA error based on the tests I did? And is it that big of a deal if it does show that error?
1) HA will not work with h.265 only h.264
2) yes 264 will be larger than 265 for the same scene if you use a VBR...but bitrate is all that controls file size.
4) something is wrong with your installation. I would reinstall.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Must have been me. I miss understood your post that either 1) my cpu didn’t do HA or I had a setting wrong lol!

2) I’d rather have larger file sizes than having a status icon with the yellow exclamation point.

4) thanks I will reinstall again :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Must have been me. I miss understood your post that either 1) my cpu didn’t do HA or I had a setting wrong lol!

2) I’d rather have larger file sizes than having a status icon with the yellow exclamation point.

4) thanks I will reinstall again :)
Not sure what file sizes have to do with the yellow exclamation...disable hardware acceleration and you wont get the error.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure what file sizes have to do with the yellow exclamation...disable hardware acceleration and you wont get the error.
I think I remember you saying, that even though with Direct To Disc, to keep HW Acceleration enabled to help "lower" CPU usage, since with "live view" there is still decoding going on. Therefore I figured regardless of being h264/h265 to keep HW Acceleration enabled. I don't like seeing the Yellow Exclamation point and feel that leaving it on is beneficial. So in order to not see the !, I turned the codec to h264.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I remember you saying, that even though with Direct To Disc, to keep HW Acceleration enabled to help "lower" CPU usage, since with "live view" there is still decoding going on. Therefore I figured regardless of being h264/h265 to keep HW Acceleration enabled. I don't like seeing the Yellow Exclamation point and feel that leaving it on is beneficial. So in order to not see the !, I turned the codec to h264.
yes, only for h.264 as h.265 HA has never been supported by blue iris. You are making no sense. its not beneficial to turn on HA if you are using h.265 it does nothing.

Nyghthawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, only for h.264 as h.265 HA has never been supported by blue iris. You are making no sense. its not beneficial to turn on HA if you are using h.265 it does nothing.
Doh. Maybe I missread the posts then.

Setup as h265 HWAccel off. Reinstalled. Resetup. Duped my cameras. NO Yellow !. and No grey'ed out for now.

=)

Edit, I literally just changed "layout" and move the cameras around their layout and the grey'd out came back........

O M G!!!! I figured it out..........

No cameras selected, functions grey'd out. Select a camera (like mouse click once) and function returns.............

I feel like a tool

Last edited: