Max bit rate??

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have some 2mp starlights and I’m having an issue deciding what max bit rate I need to be using on my cams. Some of them are running 15 FPS and some at 10 FPS. Right now I have the 15fps cams set at 3000kbs and the 10fps at 2048fps. I have one camera that is pointing down and has mostly grass in it and it seems like it needs a higher bit rate then the other cams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you short on storage? I run all of my cameras at max bitrate, because I can.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you short on storage? I run all of my cameras at max bitrate, because I can.
I have 4TB and I had 4 cameras, just added 2 more and will ultimately have 8 cameras. Until recently I just left it at the default setting but have realized that was way to low. I am now playing around with my FPS on some of the cameras. It almost seems that lowering the FPS to the 8-10 range and raising the max bit rate is better then having 15fps and a low to moderate bit rate cap

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Should have bought a bigger drive. Pretty much am going to have to tweak each camera to get the most out of drive and video. What about the quality setting? Numbered 1-6? I currently have them set on 5

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Holy crap, I set some to 15fps and 6k on max bit rate and I went beyond my 20GB per 8 hour clip.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup, my 2MP cams at 6144 bitrate produce 2-2.5GB files for 1 hour clips.

Time for some 8TB drives.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yup, my 2MP cams at 6144 bitrate produce 2-2.5GB files for 1 hour clips.

Time for some 8TB drives.
My pc only has room for 1 3.5” drive. I looking at maybe getting a 10TB to replace the 4TB

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why is it in that pdf it shows such a low bit rate compared to what it takes for mine to look good?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it, as many others, recommend based on storage being the primary concern, and that you dont "need" anymore.... I get it, but HD space is relatively cheap so I run them at higher rates.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it, as many others, recommend based on storage being the primary concern, and that you dont "need" anymore.... I get it, but HD space is relatively cheap so I run them at higher rates.
Since I bumped up the max bit rate it’s like I got new cameras with better resolution. It almost doesn’t make since to have a certain resolution just to hold it way back with a cap on the bit rate. I guess I’m basically trying to figure out what my needs and wants and limitations are. More storage would make that a lot easier. How much storage do you have and how long does it last?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On my home unit I have 2 4TB drives and I’m just barely getting 10 days which is my cutoff.

11 2MP Starlight CVI cams at 6144/30fps and the new 4MP Starlight AI IP can at 8192/30fps all h.264h

Last edited:

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On my home unit I have 2 4TB drives and I’m just barely getting 10 days which is my cutoff.

11 2MP Starlight CVI cams at 6144/30fps and the new 4MP Starlight AI IP can T 8192/30fps all h.264h
Oh damn you need more storage also lol. Any reason you use 30fps over 15fps? I haven’t tried 30fps but I’m really digging 6144/15fps on my 2mp starlights. And several of them are staying right at that 6144 cap a lot of the time.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
30 fps? because I can.

Yeah Ill be upgrading to (2) 8's soon, but really I dont care about much past 2-3 weeks. I suppose one in a million chance Id need something from that far back. if I dont know about it in a few days, it aint worth worrying about.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
30 fps? because I can.

Yeah Ill be upgrading to (2) 8's soon, but really I dont care about much past 2-3 weeks. I suppose one in a million chance Id need something from that far back. if I dont know about it in a few days, it aint worth worrying about.
Yeah your right. I’m all freaking out if I don’t have a months worth. I check it almost daily anyway and I really would be good with around a couple of weeks.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah your right. I’m all freaking out if I don’t have a months worth. I check it almost daily anyway and I really would be good with around a couple of weeks.

fwfw, I like 2 weeks of captures. I figure if something happens then I'd know about it by then. I run 10-15fps but the bitrate I left at whatever the cam (or BI) set it as. I think most of them are on VBR instead of constant. I'll bump them all up and see what happens. thanks for the tip!