Maxed out CPU

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running 13 cameras on an i7 quad core, 16GB ram. I have done all the "optimizations" suggested in this forum and still the CPU is completely slammed to the point where the machine itself is totally non-responsive making management of the BI install almost impossible. What Can I do? I have access to multiple of these machines and so I was thinking about splitting the load of the cameras onto several of these but then I have to have a BI license on all of them AND cannot view all the cameras within the same interface at the same time?? please help and offer suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running 13 cameras on an i7 quad core, 16GB ram. I have done all the "optimizations" suggested in this forum and still the CPU is completely slammed to the point where the machine itself is totally non-responsive making management of the BI install almost impossible. What Can I do? I have access to multiple of these machines and so I was thinking about splitting the load of the cameras onto several of these but then I have to have a BI license on all of them AND cannot view all the cameras within the same interface at the same time?? please help and offer suggestions.
you need to provide more detail. What exact I seven processor are you running. What are the cameras resolutions and frame rates?

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 13 camera system that is not even using substreams and the cpu remains around 40%. It is an i7-6700. Most of the cameras are 4MP and I run them at 15fps.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 13 camera system that is not even using substreams and the cpu remains around 40%. It is an i7-6700.
The number of cameras is irrelevant. The same cpu will act differently with 13 1080p cameras at 10fps, vs 13 4k cameras at 20fps.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The number of cameras is irrelevant. The same cpu will act differently with 13 1080p cameras at 10fps, vs 13 4k cameras at 20fps.
Yes, I was just using it as an example for a quick point of reference. I added some camera information.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
That model does not support hardware acceleration of video larger than 1920x1080, so it won't help with 4K. What you need to do is enable direct-to-disc and sub streams as described in the guide I linked.
All my cameras are set to direct-to-disk for sure. The substream guide is confusing to me (nothing about the way it's written at all) but when I select the Reolink in the drop down the string that it puts into the "main stream" field is different than that of the guide and so I am not sure how to set that up. should I post what the link look like ?

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is something I looked up with a quick google search. How to Live View Reolink Cameras via VLC Media Player

Code:
Main Stream: rtsp:/admin:password@ip_address:554/h264Preview_01_main

Sub Stream: rtsp:/admin:password@ip_address:554/h264Preview_01_sub
Ok I did search as well but I guess I am not versed enough in what to search for. I will try that when i go to the server. Thanks so much.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to enable the substream in the cams themselves first, then copy the main stream string and change the stream=0 to 1 and if that doesn’t work try 2. When you click OK the cam should reinitialise and if the substream param is good you should get the substream showing in your console view.

You may to redo your motion zones if you have then set so make sure you check the zones to make sure they are as you had previously configured.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to enable the substream in the cams themselves first,
You mean login to each camera web interface GUI and enable that there? Last I checked I did not see anywhere where I could enable this.... Or do you mean for each camera "settings" in the BI GUI ? Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Reolink has the substream enabled by default. They don't allow much control of things like that by the end user so I think they turn it on by default. Dahua and Hikvision allow full control by the end user which is a good reason to avoid Reolink.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
OK CPU Back down to 5% !!!! down from 100% with 13 4k cameras running at 15 fps.

Thanks for all your help. I ended up letting BI choose the generic setting and them simply added the sub stream as per the instructions above. I am attaching my camera settings so that perhaps it will help someone else.

Time to add more cameras :)

Attachments