May be personal to some---where did you setup your NVR?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do any remote areas come to mind? May be personal to some---but, where did you setup your NVR?
I prefer not to route tons of wire from IP Camera to NVR. Was wondering if using a POE extender would help in this matter. Thus, instead of utilizing the POE ports behind the NVR, can I connect the IP cameras to a POE Switch within the main location whereas situating the NVR elsewhere not within the premises and connecting it to an access point?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do any remote areas come to mind? May be personal to some---but, where did you setup your NVR?
I prefer not to route tons of wire from IP Camera to NVR. Was wondering if using a POE extender would help in this matter. Thus, instead of utilizing the POE ports behind the router, can I connect the IP cameras to a POE Switch within the main location whereas situating the NVR elsewhere not within the premises and connecting it to an access point?
That is what many do..that is one of the benefits of network cameras...
I dont think you are using the term "access point" correctly...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I need proofread before I post, lol :p

Which means the POE ports behind the NVR are almost generally left unoccupied?
Should I even put the NVR in isolation? Or should I connect to a TV? (situated in an area within the premises with lots of foot traffic)

I makes sense to situate the NVR in an isolated place--as it will actively record to the HDD, and serves as a backup especially since its easy to misplace the microSD cards installed within the IP Cameras

That is what many do..that is one of the benefits of network cameras...
I dont think you are using the term "access point" correctly...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need proofread before I post, lol :p

Which means the POE ports behind the NVR are almost generally left unoccupied?
Should I even put the NVR in isolation? Or should I connect to a TV? (situated in an area within the premises with lots of foot traffic)
Or you buy an NVR without poe ports (most models without poe ports are MUCH quieter)..
that is up to you

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Those fans can be notoriously loud, good thing there's a quick and easy way to replace them with much quieter modules.
Or you buy an NVR without poe ports (most models without poe ports are MUCH quieter)..
that is up to you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those fans can be notoriously loud, good thing there's a quick and easy way to replace them with much quieter modules.
Its not quick, its a pain in the ass.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Easy on paper then, lol
I thought I stumbled and bookmarked a DIY on this one, I think it was for a Hikvision NVR though​

Its not quick, its a pain in the ass.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It makes no sense as @fenderman points out to use a POE NVR if the ports are going to be left untouched. The price difference between the NVR-5216 (no PoE) and NVR-5216P (PoE) is $90.25USD put that into a decent PoE switch and be done with it.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1 week with the 5208-8P-4KS2 so far. It's not loud by any stretch of the imagination.

My gaming laptop is louder when the fans kick in. My desktop is louder as it has 3 fans.

SD

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1 week with the 5208-8P-4KS2 so far. It's not loud by any stretch of the imagination.

My gaming laptop is louder when the fans kick in. My desktop is louder as it has 3 fans.

SD
It varies by model, some are too loud to keep in a room that is occupied.