Maybe over my head but wish me luck.

Eek

n3wb
Reaction score
First I want to thank the countless number of informational thread on the subject from various forum members that have been all too kind to share their expertise. Been lurking on the forum for a little bit and have done tons of extensive reading about setting up my own camera system for my new restaurant. My business is a little over 2 months away from grand opening but decided to purchase all the equipment first to get a feel for how it is to setup. Waiting on a WD purple 4TB drive and ssd before I start setting things up.

First a picture of the gear that I've pickup from the recommendations on the forum.

-Dell optiplex 5040 with i7 6700 and onboard graphics (WD purple 4tb and ssd to come)
-2x Cyberpower Pure sinewave UPS
-1000ft cat6 solid copper cable from monoprice
-Netgear JGS524POE 24 port POE switch
-Netgear GS716t 16 port switch
-Ubiquiti edgerouter lite
-Ubiquiti UniFi AP
-2x cat6 Trendnet patch panels
-Cyberpower rackmount PDU
-10x Dahua IPC-HDW4431C
-1x Dahua IPC-HFW4431K
-Numerious misc items, keystone jacks, wallplate yada yada

Hopefully I did good with my choices. I intend to run BlueIris on the optiplex so I can record and remotely access my cameras while I am offsite doing errands. I am going to attempt to set up the whole thing from the reading that I've done here on the forums... But I am very well be asking for some assistance xD.

Before I actually start the installation I would like to ask the experts here if my network map makes logical sense.

I am trying to accomplish the following
  1. setup vlan for cameras and blue iris rig yet still be able to access it from offsite via blueiris app on my phone
  2. setup a "main" network for the work pc and the peripherals (i.e- printers/scanners etc)
  3. setup vlan for just the POS system that I will be using along with the handhelds and printers that will connect to it.
  4. setup a vlan for guest wifi access while they are dining at my establishment
Am I on the right track as far as my network map is concerned? Also anyone if I will be able to the ubiquiti AP broadcast 3 vlans? 1 for my main network, 1 for the POS system handhelds and 1 for guest wifi access?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
How is your guest network going to get ip address to the clients. Does that AP have a dhcp server in it? Might want to check that.

Eek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hm.. almost forgot that the unifi AP pro doesn't have a DCHP on board. I guess I'll have to setup the vlans on the edgerouter and have it act as the dhcp.

I made an updated network map. Hope this is a little more clear, would this setup technically work in the real world? Would I need to have 2 ip for the blue iris rig for me to access my cameras from my phone offsite and on site? I.e a 10.0.1.x ip and a 10.0.30.x ip

Thanks

Last edited:

Eek

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, just realized I've made a typo on the subnet for the sale's systems. They should all be on 20 rather than 30 subnet.