Mbps drop over 100ft cat6 run?

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
im getting 48mbps at the computer with a 8ft Ethernet cord. 100 ft run single cable cat6 it's at 12mbps. This isn't normal I'm guessing. Likely my crimp job on the rj45's? Anyone else see this with a bad crimp? I get 16mbps on the wireless router at the beginning of the 100ft run. I'm going to re-crimp the ends but wanted to ask.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
im getting 48mbps at the computer with a 8ft Ethernet cord. 100 ft run single cable cat6 it's at 12mbps. This isn't normal I'm guessing. Likely my crimp job on the rj45's? Anyone else see this with a bad crimp? I get 16mbps on the wireless router at the beginning of the 100ft run. I'm going to re-crimp the ends but wanted to ask.
did you wire using the 568B standard? you cannot simply match up the ends...

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did wire it by matching the colors. :/ I have no idea why that's a bad idea. Obviously a noob in every since, but I'll try to figure it out.

Bare with me, I'm going from a hands off qsee do doing a whole system on my own with no experience. Just ordered dahua and hikvision cams. Pretty excited.

Last edited:

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just what are you using to 'measure' this?
I've run power and data to the shop and house. I built both, I've got the distance down pretty accurately.

If you meant speed measurement, I used the same MacBook Pro on each Ethernet cable. So same computer. I used cox communications web speed check.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did wire it by matching the colors. :/ I have no idea why that's a bad idea. Obviously a noob in every since, but I'll try to figure it out.

Bare with me, I'm going from a hands off qsee do doing a whole system on my own with no experience. Just ordered dahua and hikvision cams. Pretty excited.
There are a million threads explaining this...you MUST use 568B standard....that is your problem..rewire everything...

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a million threads explaining this...you MUST use 568B standard....that is your problem..rewire everything...
Fortunately it's the only wire I spliced. Easy change

Fortunately I went with good cams, computer and solid copper. Haven't wired a single cam yet.