mDNS Settings

Reaction score
Hi,

Rather than use IP addresses all over the place I would like to use DNS names for my DS-2CD2032-I. I've tried to get a DNS server up and running on my NAS drive, but couldn't. It strikes me there is a much easier way to do want I want by using mDNS. I noticed that the HikVision 5.2.0 firmware supports mDNS, but it doesn't seem to give me the option to set the mDNS name, instead it defaults to the camera model name, then the serial name.local. This is much more complicated than the IP address!

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the mDNS name to be a more sensible one?

Thanks

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Andrew

The easier method is not to use the DDNS on NVR or cameras.

Set up a no ip account, and port forward on your router so that access on port xx directs to the internal ip of the device you want to access.

your no ip address portx will direct you to device x
your no ip address portxx will direct you to device xx
your no ip address portxxx will direct you to device xxx

However.... as I'm not sure what you want or need to achieve, then with a bit more info, I can steer you in the right (lol) direction.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dave. I am not trying to use DDNS, I already have a static IP for external access. This is purely for within my home network. My Camera advertises its name using mDNS as DS-2CD2032-I20140727CCCHXXXXXXXXX.local
So inside my network I can ping DS-2CD2032-I20140727CCCHXXXXXXXXX.local and get a response, however this is hardly convenient, I can remember the internal ip addresses easier than that.

Within my home network I want to be able to ping HomeCamera1 and get a response, rather than ping DS-2CD2032-I20140727CCCHXXXXXXXXX.local

Regards

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can remember the internal ip addresses easier than that
And ...... there's a reason for not using the local ip ? :eek:

But any way, what you need to do is install mDNS resolution on your PC that will resolve HomeCamera1.local to the DS-2CD2032-I20140727CCCHXXXXXXXXX.local

From howtogeek

"If you’re running a Windows machine that does not have iTunes installed (which would have installed a companion Bonjour client for mDNS resolution), you can resolve the lack of native mDNS support by downloading Apple’s Bonjour Printer Service helper app here. Although the download page makes it sound like it’s a printer-only tool, it effectively adds mDNS/Bonjour support across the board to Windows."

Good luck with it :)

Last edited by a moderator: