Noctilum

n3wb
Reaction score
- Intel Core i7 4790 4 GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD main drive
- 64 TB storage (8x 8 TB drives)
- Windows 10 Ent

I currently have 32 cameras. I just recently added 4 and have started noticing memory issues when footage is being moved down the line from New > Aux 1 > Aux 2 > Aux 3 and so forth as the drives are filled. I originally had 8 GB of RAM so I figured it was using the RAM to help transfer the files and was maxing it out. I bought a second stick bringing the total to 16 GB. The same thing is happening.

This doesn't happen when its just moving footage across a couple of drives. It happens more when it gets deeper in the chain. So when I have 3 or 4 or 5 drives moving data at once the memory maxes out. Keep in mind it is still recording at the same time.

Otherwise, performance has been really good. My CPU is at about 25% and Blue Iris uses a little less than 4 GB of RAM. I am recording continuously with 1 hour clips. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Is there a way to tell Blue Iris instead of passing the old footage down the line, to just start recording the new footage on a new drive when the old one has filled up? That would make much more sense to me from a performance standpoint. So when drive E files up, the "New" footage goes to drive "F" instead of having to move the old footage from E to F while its still trying to record new footage to E.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
- Intel Core i7 4790 4 GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD main drive
- 64 TB storage (8x 8 TB drives)
- Windows 10 Ent

I currently have 32 cameras. I just recently added 4 and have started noticing memory issues when footage is being moved down the line from New > Aux 1 > Aux 2 > Aux 3 and so forth as the drives are filled. I originally had 8 GB of RAM so I figured it was using the RAM to help transfer the files and was maxing it out. I bought a second stick bringing the total to 16 GB. The same thing is happening.

This doesn't happen when its just moving footage across a couple of drives. It happens more when it gets deeper in the chain. So when I have 3 or 4 or 5 drives moving data at once the memory maxes out. Keep in mind it is still recording at the same time.

Otherwise, performance has been really good. My CPU is at about 25% and Blue Iris uses a little less than 4 GB of RAM. I am recording continuously with 1 hour clips. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Is there a way to tell Blue Iris instead of passing the old footage down the line, to just start recording the new footage on a new drive when the old one has filled up? That would make much more sense to me from a performance standpoint. So when drive E files up, the "New" footage goes to drive "F" instead of having to move the old footage from E to F while its still trying to record new footage to E.
best solution is to divide up your cams and record 8 to each drive.

Noctilum

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. When the drive fills up after doing that, what can I expect to happen? Will it auto-delete old footage to make room for the new? Do I need to delete it myself as it becomes full?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You set each drive in BI to keep a specific amount of time. And /Or a maximum amount of space. When at the limit (time/space) the old files are deleted. Set the maximum about of space to at least 10 gb less than the max drive space.

It is best to put 4 cameras on each drive, so if a drive fails, you still have the other 28 cameras.

Noctilum

n3wb
Reaction score
When telling a camera to record to a particular drive, I can only select from New, Stored and Aux 1-4. Is it not possible to access the Aux 5-7 this method? That's 24 TB of storage I lose out on, though I guess I can assign a drive to the Stored profile.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When telling a camera to record to a particular drive, I can only select from New, Stored and Aux 1-4. Is it not possible to access the Aux 5-7 this method? That's 24 TB of storage I lose out on, though I guess I can assign a drive to the Stored profile.
yes you can...you first need to assign a path to the aux folder.