MicroSD cards... what to look for in specifications for IP Camera duty? What I found in a couple minutes for public consumption:

Reaction score
In security camera applications, only the write speed matters.

Choose a memory card with a speed rating of SDHC Class 10, which means it can sustain a write speed of at least 10MBPS. Making the choice even more complex, the SDHC speed rating is now being replaced by SDXC I and SDXC II.
For 4K cameras, look for microSD cards that can sustain a write speed of at least 30MB/second. Such cards are usually marked as SDXC I with the number “3” inside a U-bracket or SDXC II V30. For 1080 and 720p cameras, use a memory card that can sustain at least 10MB/second write speed. They are marked as SDHC Class 10, SDXC I with the number “1” inside a U-bracket, or SDXC II V10

Samsung PRO Endurance microSD cards were recently released. The best thing about them is that they are designed specifically for home security cameras.According to Samsung, they are waterproof (IP67), high-temperature resistant (up to 185℉), magnet-proof, and even X-ray proof. Finally, they are capable of recording for up to 43,800 hours straight (that’s 5 years), making them the perfect solution for video surveillance. Samsung PRO Endurance cards can maintain a write speed of up to 30MB/second, which is more than enough for 1080p and 720p recordings and just right for 4K recordings .
Operating Temperature
(-13°F to 185°F)
Non-operating Temperature
(-40°F to 185°F)
Has SDXC1 with "1" inside of U-Bracket
Samsung PRO+ However, it’s not designed for prolonged recording. Speed is its priority, but it’s not as durable as Samsung PRO Endurance.

Western Digital Purple MicroSD cards:
SDA 6.0 UHS-I interface (WD Purple microSD) Variety of endurance offerings and card health monitor for extended continuous recording
Operating temperature range: -25°C (-77F) to 85°C (185F)
Up to 30MB/s Write Speed
Has SDXC1 with "3" inside of U-Bracket
WD Purple MicroSD card specifications

Q: How long will it store the footage?
A: Using H.264, 64 GB is about 24 hours of continuous footage for one camera that records at 1080P 30 FPS.
A: Using H.265, 32 GB is about 24 hours of continuous footage for one camera that records at 1080P 30 FPS.

---------------
These are statements I copied/pasted from various websites discussing the particulars of MicroSD cards. The top dog in all reviews was the Samsung PRO Endurance. Followed by 3 or 4 lesser cards. No mention of Western Digital Purple MicroSD cards anywhere for IP camera duty, which I found strange.
Some statements seemed....conflicting. A SDXC1 with "1" in the U-Bracket should mean 10MB/second write speed. Which is what is viewable on the Samsung PRO Endurance card itself, yet it claims 30MB/second write speed. The WD card does have "3" in its bracket.
Another is the temperature. PRO endurance says -40F to 185F but then in the fine print it says that temp is for non-operating temp. Western Digital card can go down to -77F...but does not say operating or non-operating temp.
And finally, some bells & whistles I am not familiar with. Western Digital card has the Card Health Monitoring when paired with specific cameras (must mean photography cameras not IP cameras) and uses 96 layer 3D NAND tech. Could not find the layer tech for the Endurance.
Price via Amazon: 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance = $26. For the Western Digital Purple Q101 128GB: $39

I personally bought all WD Purple cards for my cameras, only because of the highly recommended WD Purple for Blue Iris HD use. If any fail or I may need to purchase more cards, I'll give the Samsung PRO Endurance a shot.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It will be interesting how well the WD cards work, let us know of any failures after a year of use.

I've bought RAM from OemPCworld in the past, when on sale. They have sd cards too, with good filters to find specs and what you need, although they don't carry the WD ones.

Reaction score
It will be interesting how well the WD cards work, let us know of any failures after a year of use.

I've bought RAM from OemPCworld in the past, when on sale. They have sd cards too, with good filters to find specs and what you need, although they don't carry the WD ones.

I have 4 WD Purple cards in my 5231's that have been in use for over 2 years. I assume the 3-5 year mark is when issues may arise for any card.
I live in Reno (Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe). Our temps go from 100 in summer to a mild -15 in winter and being 5000' above sea level, in harsh sun/rain/snow outdoor IP camera conditions.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 4 WD Purple cards in my 5231's that have been in use for over 2 years. I assume the 3-5 year mark is when issues may arise for any card.
I live in Reno (Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe). Our temps go from 100 in summer to a mild -15 in winter and being 5000' above sea level, in harsh sun/rain/snow outdoor IP camera conditions.
Thanks for the info, I have yet to use SD cards, but may add them on my new AI Dahua cams.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have yet to use SD cards, but may add them on my new AI Dahua cams.
best to have cards in AI cameras. For backup purposes...and what I really use them for, troubleshooting triggered events from the camera's themselves. I do not backup 24/7 continous recording on them. Just triggered events, snapshots...small things.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using a combination of these SanDisk High Endurance, Max Endurance, and Industrial cards since their release:

These cards offer a 2 year warranty which is reflective of their lower price:

These cards offer depending upon capacity 10 year warranty:

These cards offer a lifetime warranty and the 128 GB version is quite expansive. We use them in all industrial applications where direct access to the hardware is extremely hard to get to or really need that 99.9999% uptime assurance.

All of the cards have been installed in 24.7.365 IP camera's and other industrial systems and thus far haven't failed. All of these devices are exposed to the most extreme outdoor temperatures, vibration, and weather. Of note the industrial memory have been installed into electrical sub stations, nuclear power plants, to highly caustic locations which deal with corrosive chemicals, and bio hazard.

I'm interested to see how these memory cards perform over the next few years. So far none of them have failed (Thank God) as none of us are interested in dealing with getting into a space suite, just to replace a memory card. Only have to spend two hours in decon being scrubbed down, hosed, and sample tested. My hopes are the larger capacity cards 256 / 512 GB will come down to sub $35.XX in the next five years while increasing their reliability.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I've been using a combination of these SanDisk High Endurance, Max Endurance, and Industrial cards since their release:

These cards offer a 2 year warranty which is reflective of their lower price:

These cards offer depending upon capacity 10 year warranty:

These cards offer a lifetime warranty and the 128 GB version is quite expansive. We use them in all industrial applications where direct access to the hardware is extremely hard to get to or really need that 99.9999% uptime assurance.

All of the cards have been installed in 24.7.365 IP camera's and other industrial systems and thus far haven't failed. All of these devices are exposed to the most extreme outdoor temperatures, vibration, and weather. Of note the industrial memory have been installed into electrical sub stations, nuclear power plants, to highly caustic locations which deal with corrosive chemicals, and bio hazard.

I'm interested to see how these memory cards perform over the next few years. So far none of them have failed (Thank God) as none of us are interested in dealing with getting into a space suite, just to replace a memory card. Only have to spend two hours in decon being scrubbed down, hosed, and sample tested. My hopes are the larger capacity cards 256 / 512 GB will come down to sub $35.XX in the next five years while increasing their reliability.
what's interesting is SanDisk was acquired by Western Digital back in 2016. The SanDisk Industrial has a couple more bells & whistles: Advanced features to enhance reliability and utility, including health status meter, programmable ID, Host Lock, secure FW upgrade, memory field error correction.
It is a MLC (multi-level cell). Unsure what the WD or PRO are.
I just found out 2 more interesting things. Below is a calculator that estimates how long a card may last.

Also, the WD have 3 versions of their card. Q101 is standard, Q312 is longer life/higher write speed. And then...their Industrial line up.

Ok... reading way too much into microSD cards :) There are some serious science and engineering specifications well above what my head can handle. I'll be sticking to either the PRO or WD :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.