Middle East says Hi AND....

Shadow

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the cpu needed. I've read the newbies guide and the wiki, yet didn't find an answer. I plan on buying a new pc which will run solely Win10 with Blue Iris. It'll connect to a POE switch which will power 5x4MP cams. At least at the beginning, the whole system will be isolated from the Internet and record 24/7.
The question is which CPU should I get? The wiki suggests CPUs like 9900k which is almost 600$!
Now, I know the better cpu, the better, but I can't imagine this level of performance being a mandatory for such a system. There were other options but that confused me even more considering the huge performance gap between a CPU like 9900k and 8700. Both presented as a "best" option. Should I really bother with a high-end CPU for a system as described above? What if I'll replace the cameras for 4k ones in the future?

BTW, PC will have 8-16 Gb ram, 1 wd purple (can it even record from 5x4MP cams at once? Lol)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the cpu needed. I've read the newbies guide and the wiki, yet didn't find an answer. I plan on buying a new pc which will run solely Win10 with Blue Iris. It'll connect to a POE switch which will power 5x4MP cams. At least at the beginning, the whole system will be isolated from the Internet and record 24/7.
The question is which CPU should I get? The wiki suggests CPUs like x9900 which is almost 600$!
Now, I know the better cpu, the better, but I can't imagine this level of performance being a mandatory for such a system. There were other options but that confused me even more considering the huge performance gap between a CPU like x9900 and 8700. Both presented as a "best" option. Should I really bother with a high-end CPU for a system as described above? What if I'll replace the cameras for 4k ones in the future?

BTW, PC will have 8-16 Gb ram, 1 wd purple (can it even record from 5x4MP cams at once? Lol)
read the wiki again. it does not recommend an i9...
You dont need anything more than a i5-3570 for that load.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check out this web site, it has stats from different BI machines.

Blue Iris Update Helper

Get a used computer off of ebay or other sites, get a computer that is the correct size to do the job. five 4MP cameras is not much of a load. Save your self some money. You should be able to get a well configured PC for BI for less than $200US then add an SSD and a WD purple.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink or nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Shadow

n3wb
Reaction score
The wiki in a nutshell.
Many thanks to both of you. Each one of you actually helped me more than you think (and saved me about 400$).
Gotta say, this entry of the 9900k in the wiki caught me off guard, lol. I also didn't know you can run 5x4MP cameras (with good performance) with such a cpu (i5-3570) AND just 1 mechanical drive.
Thanks again :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The wiki in a nutshell.
Many thanks to both of you. Each one of you actually helped me more than you think (and saved me about 400$).
Gotta say, this entry of the 9900k in the wiki caught me off guard, lol. I also didn't know you can run 5x4MP cameras (with good performance) with such a cpu (i5-3570) AND just 1 mechanical drive.
Thanks again :cool:
You should use an SSD for the os blue iris and bi database