Migrate BI4 to a new CPU, best way to transfer all settings and license

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Evening all, I got my dedicated BI CPU and now I want to switch over. Basically need to put my licensed copy of BI4 on my new CPU and hopefully, easily, transfer all of my cameras and setting over. Is there a guide/101 thread to do this? Any help (@fenderman ;) Is greatly appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Evening all, I got my dedicated BI CPU and now I want to switch over. Basically need to put my licensed copy of BI4 on my new CPU and hopefully, easily, transfer all of my cameras and setting over. Is there a guide/101 thread to do this? Any help (@fenderman ;) Is greatly appreciated!
export the settings using the about tab in blue iris options..deactivate the license in the about tab as well...
import on your new machine and install license..process takes 2 minuets..

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
export the settings using the about tab in blue iris options..deactivate the license in the about tab as well...
import on your new machine and install license..process takes 2 minuets..
My current PC running BI may be terminal so I may not be able to deactivate my license before reloading BI onto a replacement PC. Luckily I have my BI (and BI Tools) settings exported and saved, but how can I transfer my BI license? Also, if I am moving BI from Windows 7 to Windows 10, will my exported BI settings still work? Many thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My current PC running BI may be terminal so I may not be able to deactivate my license before reloading BI onto a replacement PC. Luckily I have my BI (and BI Tools) settings exported and saved, but how can I transfer my BI license? Also, if I am moving BI from Windows 7 to Windows 10, will my exported BI settings still work? Many thanks!
You should be fine. It is generally only an issue of you enter the license key repeatedly. Once entered on the new system make sure the old system does not have internet access or uninstall BI/deactivate.
the exported settings will work fine. Ensure you have your key as it wont be exported.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI appears to be up and running on my "new" eBay PC (Dell 9020 Optiplex with i7 4770). CPU now runnign at ~17%. :-D How can I import my previously saved/backed up BIT settings? I do not see where/how to do that through the BIT GUI. Many thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI appears to be up and running on my "new" eBay PC (Dell 9020 Optiplex with i7 4770). CPU now runnign at ~17%. :-D How can I import my previously saved/backed up BIT settings? I do not see where/how to do that through the BIT GUI. Many thanks!
you can import the file with blue iris options>about>import

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
? I already imported my BI reg data. I am trying to import into BIT my BIT .ini data.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
? I already imported my BI reg data. I am trying to import into BIT my BIT .ini data.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't use it but would guess the info would either be stored in a regestry key you could export/import or in an c:\users\username\appdata\roaming or \local folder that could be copied over.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used it but it tends to be quite buggy with a GUI that is not very intuitive. It took me numerous iterations to finally get things "mostly" consistent/accurate. In the final analysis, the only interesting added value is the ability to enlarge/resize the camera image windows. At this point I will wait to see how this improves. I guess this is why the BI author(s) have not addressed this. Many thanks to all working on this!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used it but it tends to be quite buggy with a GUI that is not very intuitive. It took me numerous iterations to finally get things "mostly" consistent/accurate. In the final analysis, the only interesting added value is the ability to enlarge/resize the camera image windows. At this point I will wait to see how this improves. I guess this is why the BI author(s) have not addressed this. Many thanks to all working on this!
huh? you dont use what? what are you using to resize camera windows? BIT is not developed by BI.
the backup file is a "settings" file...simply use it to overwrite the settings file in your BIT folder
@Mike can help you if that doesnt work

Last edited:

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've found that when I use the license on another PC it automatically deactivates on the PC I took it off of. I bought 3 Licenses to begin with and learn and was switching them back and forth with no issue. The one it came off of would revert to Demo mode and new one would activate. Import and export in the about page has worked Great. Already upgraded one system and used the import setting to get the new machine up and running within minutes. Love this software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've found that when I use the license on another PC it automatically deactivates on the PC I took it off of. I bought 3 Licenses to begin with and learn and was switching them back and forth with no issue. The one it came off of would revert to Demo mode and new one would activate. Import and export in the about page has worked Great. Already upgraded one system and used the import setting to get the new machine up and running within minutes. Love this software.
if you do that too many times the licenses will be deactivated.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you do that too many times the licenses will be deactivated.
Thanks. Is there an exact number that you are aware of because Ive done it quite a bit. I think I have them in their final homes but just in case I will be careful with this.

arky

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to migrate to a new computer and deactivated my license on the old computer. When I attempted to license on the new computer it informed me that I had done this too many times and my reg key needed to be reset. The message even gave me the email address to request it. I did so and received a reply that my key was reset just a few minutes later. No huge hassles at all.