Migrated to new box, now clips dont record.

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I recently migrated an existing license to a new PC, the old box died. I was able to import the configuration, it all came up quickly, everything I working except for actual recording.

To be more specific, the clip recording is working very sporadically with no pattern I can discern. where I'd normally be recording over 100 clips a day due to motion, I'm getting less than 10 actually recording.
I know motion detection is working as it's sending alerts
I can still see all the alerts on my alert list, the still images are recording, it even tells me I have a clips of varying lengths, but when I try to play them only one out of like 25 will actually play, the rest just generate an error box saying the file cannot be found. Even manually recording does not save an actual clip, though it appears to be recording as normal.

I've tried changing the recording path, the new and storage folders, repairing the DB, nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? could this be a license issue, where recording is restricted because I was not able to deactivate the license (the old box died)? Thanks for any help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently migrated an existing license to a new PC, the old box died. I was able to import the configuration, it all came up quickly, everything I working except for actual recording.

To be more specific, the clip recording is working very sporadically with no pattern I can discern. where I'd normally be recording over 100 clips a day due to motion, I'm getting less than 10 actually recording.
I know motion detection is working as it's sending alerts
I can still see all the alerts on my alert list, the still images are recording, it even tells me I have a clips of varying lengths, but when I try to play them only one out of like 25 will actually play, the rest just generate an error box saying the file cannot be found. Even manually recording does not save an actual clip, though it appears to be recording as normal.

I've tried changing the recording path, the new and storage folders, repairing the DB, nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? could this be a license issue, where recording is restricted because I was not able to deactivate the license (the old box died)? Thanks for any help!
Its not a license issue.
Delete the DB folder and restart the server

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure. This is the current setting where I simply have a "New" folder named new 2, all the space is allocated there, nothing in "stored". Originally, I had it set more traditionally, with 100Gb in "New" and 300Gb in "stored". This latest setting was simply me troubleshooting, clearly it didn't help. Alerts was left at default. Thanks for the help!

Screenshot_20181212-100937.png Screenshot_20181212-101004.png Screenshot_20181212-101016.png

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
only one drive for os and recordings? if so add another drive just for recordings and test by putting new onto that. plus your system will last much longer by doing so

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I think that's what killed my last box. I was planning on an extra drive once I got the system up and running. I guess I can try that sooner to test it.

UPDATE: no go, attached a usb drive, remapped the new folder to it, still no recording, either motion or manual.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of screen shots of the record folder from a few of you cameras.
Also again a blue Iris status, the clip storage tab. Need it again as you made changes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
post the exact error you get when trying to playback.

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure, here goes. I'm taking screenshots over my phone's remote desktop, so please excuse the low quality & framing.

1st, overnight I seem to have gotten a couple of random clips that recorded, again no discernable pattern. 3 of them show modified at 2am, when the DB is set to auto-repair. At least one of the clips was actually recorded much earlier, so the DB rebuild modified them. A couple of clips recorded after the rebuild, randomly again. This is significantly fewer clips than should have been recorded acording to the alerts list, the records of motion detection (synced and logged by a separate smartthings hub), etc.
Screenshot_20181213-094838.png

Here's the record setting for a couple of cams, one that randomly recorded overnight, one that never has, even though both have shown motion alerts. The only difference is the combine clips setting, which I normally leave on.
Screenshot_20181213-095322.png
Screenshot_20181213-095547.png

Here's the latest clip storage status tab.
Screenshot_20181213-094423.png

and finally, here's the error box that pops up when tryign to play a clip from the list on the right. If I go down the list and try them all, I'd get lucky and have one play maybe every 25 - 35 attempts. Same result if I try playing alerts or clips. Only real way to play the few clips that do randomly record is to manually play them from the windows folder shows in the 1st screenshot above.
Screenshot_20181213-094318.png

Thanks again for your continued help!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You keep changing things. It is impossible to figure out what you are doing. In one place the folder is name new video, in another place it is name new2.

We will need to start over..........

What are your drive letters and what are there sizes and what is the free space on each drive. ?

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Well yes, in the process of troubleshooting I've tried changing the target drive to fix or alter the problem, some of that was recommended on here, so far nothing has fixed the problem. I've noted every change so hopefully those better than me at this might spot the issue.

This is a brand new, dedicated machine. It only has one drive, C:/. it is 500Gb, with only the OS on it, leaving roughly464Gb free.

In the default Blueiris folder, I had the default storage folders, New, Stored, and Alerts.

The problem arose immediately after getting the sytem online, so I made an extra folder under C:/windows/blueiris/ called "New2", pointed the recording there. The problem persisted.

Awahl above noted the problem of using a single drive, which is more of a long term problem rather than this immediate issue, so I figured i'd try another drive. I plugged in a blank 64Gb usb drive, which was assigned drive E:/ with 59Gb free. I made a single folder in that drive called "new video", pointed the recording there. The problem persisted.

I believe this lets us rule out a single drive as the problem, or pointing to an incorrect drive path. If I point the recording path back to the original default folder (C:/windows/blueiris/new) I'm confident the problem would persist unchanged.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Solve one problem at a time. Lets get recording working.

On the C: drive create the following folders if they are not there:
C:\BlueIris\Alerts
C:\BlueIris\New
C:\BlueIris\Stored

In blue iris click the gear at the top of the page. click Clips and archiving.
1) click Clips and archiving, click new in the folders column. set the folder to C:\BlueIris\New set Limit size to 100 GB, click the delete button. click ok
2) click Clips and archiving. Click alerts in the folder column set the folder to C:\BlueIris\Alerts set Limit size to 5 GB, click the delete button. click ok
3) click Clips and archiving. Click Stored in the folder column set the folder to C:\BlueIris\Stored set Limit size to 1 GB, click the delete button. click ok We will not be using this folder.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Next We set the cameras.
On each camera properties on the record tab,
1)Set the profile to 1 active
2) set video to continuous
3) set folder to new
4) check and set combine or cut video each 1 hour 0 minutes 4 GB. save everything.
5) on each camera click the video file format button
_____a) click the BLUE IRIS DVR
_____b) check Use FLAC audio compression
_____c) click Direct to disk

click ok save everything.

Reboot the PC. make sure BI service is up and running.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Next post screen shots
1) three vertical bars button Blue iris status . clip storage
2) Gear button Blue iris options, Clips and archiving tab, New stored, alerts folders (3 screen shots)
3) on the camera button Record tab screen shots for two different cameras screen shot. Click the video file format button, screen shot of the format page also

After 2 hours a screen shot of what is in the windows folder C:\BlueIris\New

Thwack

n3wb
Reaction score
Done, screencaps in requested order below:
cap1.PNG
cap2.PNG
cap3.PNG
cap4.PNG
cap5.PNG
cap6.PNG
cap8.PNG

And I have now left the system in record profile 1, as shown below, you can see the red record icons on the video tiles, all of them have it. I will check back in a couple of hours to see if anything recorded.
cap9.PNG

Attachments

Last edited: