Migrating from DVR to NVR on the cheap

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 8 channel DVR is slowly dying. I'd like to move to an NVR so I can put in more types of cameras and the like. I see several companies that make NVR units with a single network jack, but then some have multiple jacks to provide POE for their connections. Is there a recommendation for a low cost, ONVIF NVR to handle 8+ cameras?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 8/16/32CH 1U 4K&H.265 NVR support 2HDD Onvif NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 from Reliable 265 nvr suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

Get the 16ch version. You will also need a hard drive. If you get an NVR with one network jack, this allows you to use a POE switch to connect the cams to, and one wire goes to the NVR. But you will have the easy ablity to access the settings on the cam's directly and by pass the NVR.
Also gives you more placement flexibility.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome thank you. Any suggestions on cameras? That link seems dead.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lts or Dahua here. Try milkisbad and see if he can help you with some cameras and nvr

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anything? I was hoping for some feedback on the unit that I posted. That unit allows me to keep my existing cameras and add new ones.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry no idea on either of those. They could be rebranded Dahua units but I cant be sure. I would stick with real branded Dahua XVR. If you want the best experience, keep the DVR and the cameras the same brand.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, That is a "lite" version of the Dahua XVR. There are differences in the various models, Lite, Pro, and Ultra, all have tradeoffs. Make sure and read specs closely to determine that the DVR will meet your needs now and in the future as technology is racing ahead bigtime on video cameras and DVR's..

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I think that I've settled between two models here, either the XVR5116HS, or the XVR7216AN. Does anyone have any opinions on these? I figure what I will do is slowly move from my existing BNC to ONVIF cameras as the BNC units go out.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 7216AN gives you 2X more hard drive capacity and 2x more FPS. No brainer.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish. I'm ready to get one of these. Are there recommendations on where to order? It seems like there's a pretty big price delta. One vendor seems to list a Dahua but then in the comments it refers to it as "Ancotech" also, I have NTSC coax camera, but they're listed only as PAL compatible. Is this really the case?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish. I'm ready to get one of these. Are there recommendations on where to order? It seems like there's a pretty big price delta. One vendor seems to list a Dahua but then in the comments it refers to it as "Ancotech" also, I have NTSC coax camera, but they're listed only as PAL compatible. Is this really the case?
Hi Kruuth,

I would check if Andy @EMPIRETECANDY can assist you, a number of us here have purchased from him and he does a good customer service job.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure and communicate with the seller BEFORE you buy and be certain you get an NTSC compatible machine. There shouldnt be a difference frankly as mine will allow you to switch between the two, but never know with China Region stuff.