Migration from BI3 to BI4

budryerson

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to "Export Settings" in BI3 and "Import Settings" in BI4 but received Error 1017.

What do I need to do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you uninstall BI3?

For anyone else, you should install bi 4 before uninstalling 3...it will pull all you settings...when you uninstall 3, you need to select NO when it asks you to delete the settings.

budryerson

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not uninstall BI3. I need to transfer all settings from BI3 on one machine to BI4 on another.
I should have been more clear.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok..that error may be a permissions error..make sure you are logged in as admin on the new machine...

budryerson

n3wb
Reaction score
Permissions... good idea, but too late in my case.
I gave up and rebuilt. It was a good exercise, I suppose.
I'm sure your reply will be helpful to others. Thank's very much.

budryerson

n3wb
Reaction score
I received this message from Ken at Blue Iris Support:

"The file is not compatible with 4. You can only import a version 3 settings file by double clicking it in windows ... like you did with version 3 days.Sorry for the misunderstanding there ..."

I take this to mean that the export setting sin BI3 will not import into BI4 and therefore one cannot migrate camera settings from BI3 to BI4.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I received this message from Ken at Blue Iris Support:

"The file is not compatible with 4. You can only import a version 3 settings file by double clicking it in windows ... like you did with version 3 days.Sorry for the misunderstanding there ..."

I take this to mean that the export setting sin BI3 will not import into BI4 and therefore one cannot migrate camera settings from BI3 to BI4.
I havent tested it, but i think he means that you can still import the settings by simply clicking on the file, rather than importing it..it will make the proper changed to the registry.