Mini 12V UPS $15-$30

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I like digging for new electronic/technical stuff and I recently found an interesting product that is a mini 12V UPS that you connect between your 12V 5.5 Jack power transformer and the 12V system you need to power.

Size is like any usual USB Powerbank, the battery inside seems to be a pack of 3x18650 (well known, cheap and easy to replace) I found this interesting because it can easy power secure any 12V 5.5 Jack powered device, IPCams/NVR/NAS/Router.

They are "basic" UPS they do not communicate/warn you in any way (unless you hack them and add some ESP8266 that will "ping" you in case of main power failure if the rest of your WiFi stuff and DSL router are also UPS secured of course ;-)

I have not checked the time needed to "refuel" the batteries and if it do support higher Amps rated power transformer to provide both max amps to powered device and enought juice to refuel the batterie "fast enought".

I found two different constructors on Banggood (my prefered market place) but I guess you'll find same kind of products on AliExpress or GearBest.

First constructor produce different max Watts models (up to 44W) and also a 5V version (whenever 5.5 Jack 5V powered devices are not that common)

DC 12V 2A Mini UPS Power Supply On-line Type Battery Pack Short Circuit for Security/Monitoring/Alarm/Networking

the second constructor have only one 12V/2A 24W model but I like it better because of its battery level meter leds display and the easy way to open the box and change the 18650 pack, I am going to buy this one to test.

12V2A 22.2W UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply Backup Power Mini Battery for Camera Router

According to the specs it carry 3 x 2000mAh 18650 so it use an internal DC-Boost to raise from 3.7V internal up to 12V and doing the math it should keep power up to nearly 1 hour (50 mins should be more realistic) at max Amps.

upload_2017-7-4_10-33-45.png

Last edited:

Boxy345

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. Lets us know how it works and what used to test