mini bullet, low light, POE recommendation?

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to install a second camera by my front door behind an interior window. It provides a clear line of sight, and while I'm aware that mounting inside isn't ideal its my only option. I've tested with an old Amcrest camera and the location works, no issue with reflections (won't use camera IR, the location is protected from interior light reflection because there are heavy drapes covering the upper window pane). Any recommendation for a 2-4MP mini POE bullet with good night vision? Small size matters...

Reaction score
mini POE bullet
Why bullet? Do you know what FOV you want? The T5442 line is by far the best prosumer cams right now, especially for low-light color. The turret fixed lens versions are fairly small. You do not need to use the IR, and for night color you would shut it off anyway. I run mine in color 24/7.

Virtualko

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you provide a link to the camera you're talking about? (T5442). I did search for them, but I want to make sure I"m looking at the recommended one - sorry about hijacking the thread... I'm looking to replace my Dahua mini-domes. Nice picture but the IR glare at night is brutal.

Is it this guy? IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you provide a link to the camera you're talking about? (T5442). I did search for them, but I want to make sure I"m looking at the recommended one - sorry about hijacking the thread... I'm looking to replace my Dahua mini-domes. Nice picture but the IR glare at night is brutal.

Is it this guy? IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
When you have to look through a window, you have to turn off the IR led's.
They will only reflect, unless you can remove them and place them outside,,,,,,, :banghead:

Virtualko

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. They are starlight, so i suppose I should just keep the IRs off at all times.

Reaction score
@Virtualko I have three IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS that are looking through the windows on either side of my front door. I keep them in color 24/7, IR is off. They give great shots of anyone coming to the door. I do have to keep the windows clean and have plenty of light on my porch.

DSC_0310.JPGDSC_4447.JPGFDLH.20200703_175954_1.jpgFDLH.20200703_205824_1.jpgFDRH.20200701_104138_1.jpg

Virtualko

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, those are what i currently have. Thanks for the nighttime shot, that's encouraging. I have 5 total and 4 of them are pointing to places where the lighting isn't great at night (dark streets and the sides of the house). I'm going to turn off the IR tonight to see what the results are in the morning. Do they make a IR lights that run off of PoE? (my guess is no).

Thanks samplenhold!