Miniature HD POE camera for Birdbox

davidrt

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone suggest a POE HD camera for a birdbox. We are currently using a Foscam F18910E in
a bird box and pictures are OK. However pics could be clearer so thinking about HD
subject to cost. I have said miniature but the Foscam is relatively quite big so I can
go up to that size. I have sealed any gaps (as best I can) to stop bugs going in to
camera. Also it is only for about 2 -3 months only.
Other consideration is distance, it is very short say 6" to 9" from lens to the birds.
Not sure what spec this comes under eg fixed lens f2.8 etc etc or can you get
auto focus and or zoom to get round this ?
Finally based in the UK.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No specific recommendations; but it sounds like a fun project :)

How big is the bird box? Sounds like it is not too small if that FOSCAM PTZ fits in it.

You might be able to squeeze something like this inside: http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9445 Protect it with some tape from dust, mites, bugs ...

Maybe the hikvision mini dome could work? It would give some glass protection, be more dust & pecking proof. If need be you could cut a hole the size of the little bubble dome and stick the bubble through the hole from the outside, then of course seal the. http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9448&showid=1

There's smaller (covert/spy) stuff out there, but either it will be analog junk or very expensive.

Beyond that, depending on available light, camera noise may still / will be an issue without IR or with IR you may just get a white picture, and be forced to diffuse the light some. I don't know how dim POE IR cameras can go. I know my foscam similar to yours throws a ton of video noise into the image without IR on in the transition period at dusk & dawn. But some cams can view under really dark circumstances, and have more settings than a foscam has. Plus you could probably always squeeze a little LED diode in from a little solar light panel if need be to boost things.

Don't know enough specs to know which ones could easily be focused for super close vision. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Hikvision covert camera would be great. You need a hole about 1/4" for the lens to peek through. You can use a very small bird house, maybe 2x2" inside is enough. The box for the camera can be mounted 2m away. If the birdhouse was bigger, you can put the box inside.