Minimize broadband cost - streaming from camera

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
/Today I have a simple ADSL 10 MB Broadband (1 MB - 128 kbit/s upwards) where my camera is, and use ASUS 68U router setup as VPN-server. This work quite OK when I only need to have watch now and then, but if I need closer look or download HD-videos, it is very very timeconsuming. My camera is Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZHS.

It is possible to change to wireless broadband provider which cost a about the same for 100 GB a month (Euro 55). This can be raised to 200 GB which cost about Euro 11 extra or to 300 GB (which is Maximum) for about Euro 22 extra. The speed is the same for all these - up to 20 MB - (2.5 Mbit/s) upwards.

I don't need the broadband to very much else except in middle summer, but then I am there and not remote. Of course children and grandchildren will stream a lot, but will never reach 100 GB a month.

I have of course calculated all sort of wifi-use and also tried to calculate different configuration of the camera where normal good solution for streaming should be at least 12 frames a second and bitrate 4096 which give me about 12 GB per 8 hours with 400 kbit/s. It is easy to consider that this will be more than the broadband maximum per month.

As the camera has three streams one could assume that I could use one to save cost and another with full capacity, but it is not so simple. Through the camera or through the router the streams get reduced to what the broadband can deliver. An example is if the broadband have a maximum of 128 kbit/s and the stream from the camera have 200 kbit/s, packages is removed from the stream to get it through. This work very, very fine and will minimize the broadband cost also with better broadband.

To be more precise I wish to set the normal daily stream to about 400 kbit/s, but wish also another set to maximum above the broadbands maximum 2.5 Mbit/s.

Therefore I look for a solution that can save money and at the same time give me an opportunity to speed up the stream when I want to do.

One possibel solution is to use the ASUS router to manage two set of streaming setup. (It has not been possible to get any help from ASUS). Anybody knows?

Another solution is to have different users with different broadband capacity, configurated in the camera.

May be 3rd party program can do it?

Suggestion?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
/Today I have a simple ADSL 10 MB Broadband (1 MB - 128 kbit/s upwards) where my camera is, and use ASUS 68U router setup as VPN-server. This work quite OK when I only need to have watch now and then, but if I need closer look or download HD-videos, it is very very timeconsuming. My camera is Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZHS.

It is possible to change to wireless broadband provider which cost a about the same for 100 GB a month (Euro 55). This can be raised to 200 GB which cost about Euro 11 extra or to 300 GB (which is Maximum) for about Euro 22 extra. The speed is the same for all these - up to 20 MB - (2.5 Mbit/s) upwards.

I don't need the broadband to very much else except in middle summer, but then I am there and not remote. Of course children and grandchildren will stream a lot, but will never reach 100 GB a month.

I have of course calculated all sort of wifi-use and also tried to calculate different configuration of the camera where normal good solution for streaming should be at least 12 frames a second and bitrate 4096 which give me about 12 GB per 8 hours with 400 kbit/s. It is easy to consider that this will be more than the broadband maximum per month.

As the camera has three streams one could assume that I could use one to save cost and another with full capacity, but it is not so simple. Through the camera or through the router the streams get reduced to what the broadband can deliver. An example is if the broadband have a maximum of 128 kbit/s and the stream from the camera have 200 kbit/s, packages is removed from the stream to get it through. This work very, very fine and will minimize the broadband cost also with better broadband.

To be more precise I wish to set the normal daily stream to about 400 kbit/s, but wish also another set to maximum above the broadbands maximum 2.5 Mbit/s.

Therefore I look for a solution that can save money and at the same time give me an opportunity to speed up the stream when I want to do.

One possibel solution is to use the ASUS router to manage two set of streaming setup. (It has not been possible to get any help from ASUS). Anybody knows?

Another solution is to have different users with different broadband capacity, configurated in the camera.

May be 3rd party program can do it?

Suggestion?
You dont get charged for local use. The limit will only be applicable for remote viewing.

Reaction score
I think you will have to consider something onsite to capture the high quality video, as I have 3 cameras (5MP/2FPS, 2MP/2FPS,1.4MP/2FPS) at a remote site (which has 1000 GB monthly limit) and I am regularly at 400-500GB/month streaming at these very low FPS.

You should consider using a lower resolution STREAM to stay under your data cap, combined with possibly JPEG alerts sent to you with higher resolution, and combine that with onsite recording at higher resolution and frame rates on a well hidden/secured BI computer that you can connect to over VPN in the event you catch something happening on premise.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks crw030 and Fenderman,

I use a 128 GB sd-card in the camera and save high resolution video from motion etc. there and transmit these to me Remote if I need details from the motion. This is almost not possible with adsl today. The JPEG comes all the time mostly because light and weather change.

My purpose is however to have both better resolution through the day without beeing afraid to use all the Broadband GB's and when it's needed, have a higher resolution stream to me remote.

As mentioned, I want to use the "on Board" technic which reduse the number of packages in the stream if I reach the broadband limit I like to use. (400 kbit/s).

Is it possible to have two different users managing this in the ASUS 68U - router (vpn-server)? one with 400 kbit/s and one with >2.5 Mbit/s?

Last edited: