Minimize GUI when monitor is turned off?

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Blue Iris system uses more CPU and more power when I have the monitor on and the Blue Iris GUI is showing... but, when I turn off my monitor the computer/CPU still uses the same amount of power.

Isn't it a waste for it to use extra power for a GUI that can't even be seen because the monitor has been turned off?

Aren't computers smart enough nowadays to know that a monitor has been turned off? I'm using a DisplayPort connection too... on a 4K monitor.

So... my question is... is there any way to 'minimize' the GUI automatically when the monitor is turned off to minimize power usage? And then to restore the GUI when the monitor is turned back on? Or some other way to not waste the power when the GUI is active/on but it can't be seen because the monitor is off?

NOTE: I'm not looking for more time-consuming solutions... I want something automatic and that doesn't require more work than it should... that means the GUI stops wasting power the moment the monitor is turned off.

Thanks!

Last edited:

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Think of it as a 1 way street. Data only goes from pc to monitor, not both ways. Monitors are dumb, they just do what the pc says. Is it really that much work to minimize BI prior to turning off the monitor?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But it's not a one way street. The monitor can send data back (that's how Windows knows the monitor resolution). Monitors are not as dumb as they used to be.

And it's a waste of time to constantly have to minimize and then restore the GUI when I turn off and on the monitor when it could (and should, IMO) be done automatically.

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But it's not a one way street. The monitor can send data back (that's how Windows knows the monitor resolution). Monitors are not as dumb as they used to be.

And it's a waste of time to constantly have to minimize and then restore the GUI when I turn off and on the monitor when it could (and should, IMO) be done automatically.
  1. In windows “Turn Off the screen” after xx minutes.

2. Minimize BI when you leave…

3. Shake the mouse when you came back…

4. Maximize BI.