Missing frames & Ghosting in Recorded Video

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm setting up a new security system and I just can't resolve issues with recording videos to the hard drive. Blue Iris Support tells me that the "ghosting" I see in my recorded videos is caused by missing frames in the recording.

Here's my setup:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i3 6100
8GB RAM
500 GB SSD for the OS
4TB WD Purple HD for saving recordings
GB Ethernet switch & NIC
6 Hikvision PoE dome cameras: 4x 4MP, 2x 3MP

All six cams have the same video settings.
Resolution 1920x1080
Highest video quality
10fps
Max bitrate 3072 Kbps
I frame interval 10
SVC Off

I used the ONVIF automatic setup for the cameras, but modified that setting to specify my cams' make and model in BI. I've increased the receive buffer to 20 MB for each cam; set BI to 25 fps (one setting higher than the cams); enabled hardware decoding and video post-processing (VPP); and record video in Blue Iris DVR (.BVR) format using direct-to-disc video compression.

My CPU usage is around 8 or 10% without live viewing, and close to 20% with live viewing.
I can actually solve the ghosting/dropped frames issue by recording in MJPG mode, but if I do that, my CPU can't handle it.

I'm not sure why I can't record the h.264 stream coming from the cams direct-to-disk. Is 10-20% too much CPU load? Do I need to install a graphics card instead of using the Intel HD Graphics in the i3?

Live streams look perfect. Here's an example of what I see in recorded videos.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use vpp...A card will not help.. Post a screenshot of camera settings

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
VPP seemed like it helped my CPU load a tiny bit... But I can disable it. Either way, CPU load is all I can tell that it affects. The ghosting is the same with or without it.

Thanks for having a look. Here are my settings...

*Edit: Hmm, I pasted pics directly here. Not showing up. Let me try again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also make sure Windows is set to high performance...

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
That is not a solution, the system is an i3... it will run too high CPU
That's right. Disabling direct-to-disc and using MJPG does solve the ghosting issue (if I do it for one cam), but if I do it for all cams it comes at the price of completely disabling the system at 100% CPU usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's right. Disabling direct-to-disc and using MJPG does solve the ghosting issue (if I do it for one cam), but if I do it for all cams it comes at the price of completely disabling the system at 100% CPU usage.
Have you tested no vpp and windows high performance

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tested no vpp and windows high performance
Yes. I guess the ghost trails aren't quite as long as they were in that Youtube video I posted above. But they're still quite noticeable and horrible.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, the playback function for playing recorded videos works extremely poorly. It will play for about 5 seconds, freeze for 10 seconds, then play for 5 more, etc. I'm hoping that issue is the same issue as the ghosting, with the missing frames.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the playback function for playing recorded videos works extremely poorly. It will play for about 5 seconds, freeze for 10 seconds, then play for 5 more, etc. I'm hoping that issue is the same issue as the ghosting, with the missing frames.
That is abnormal... Test the disk..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I guess the ghost trails aren't quite as long as they were in that Youtube video I posted above. But they're still quite noticeable and horrible.
Try recording constant bit rate.. Ensure that you are running the latest version of bi

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Try recording constant bit rate.. Ensure that you are running the latest version of bi
Constant bit rate didn't help. Running release 4.5.0.2. I actually just got that release a few days ago, so I assumed it was the newest but it does say 4.5.0.3 is available. Downloading it now.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
That is abnormal... Test the disk..
I ran a scan and Windows doesn't see any errors on the drive. It's a shiny new WD purple, I just started using it 3 or 4 days ago. It seems to work fine otherwise - I temporarily put a couple TB of my backup data on it the other day, and then moved it to another disk. No problems at all.

I do also notice that BI gives me write errors very frequently. All the cameras, I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.5.0.3 installed. New recorded video looks the same, like shit.
Try using find inspect to pull the onvif profile...The rest of us don't have your problem and our video does not look like shit...Try recording to the SSD to eliminate the drive as an issue.. You did not properly test the disk.. Moving files around is meaningless.. Windows reporting is meaningless... Disable hardware acceleration..If the problem goes away try updating the Intel HD driver

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
I used find-inspect originally, and had this issue from the beginning. I changed it to my specific brand and model camera afterward, in an attempt to fix the issue. So I get the ghosting either way.

Let me move my New directory back to the SSD. I think I had it there before, but worth a try.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You might also try dropping your bitrate to 4096..Yours is set way to high for 10fps at 1080