Missing frames on MD clip starts

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No matter how many pre-frame buffers I seem to put on my cameras, BI sometimes won't start the recording until the subject is 90% though the field of view. I tinkered with pre-buffering, i-frames, keyframes, and more.

What I just noticed is that it's black (or very dark colored) cars that don't seem to trigger the MD until it's too late. It might just be coincidental, but with white (or light colored) cars, the clip starts before the vehicle even enters the frame (as it should with pre-buffering enabled). But with the black cars, all I seem to catch is the back half of the car as it leaves the frame.

Is there a way to make the less sensitive to the color of the object? I don't quite understand how the brightness/color selection work. I've been on brightness and color, with object detect/reject turned on. I'm now trying it with brightness only w/object detect on, and highlighting with red rectangle.

Any ideas are welcome.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn off the object detect/reject and turn back to brightness/color. That should fix your problem

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Will give that a go. It's unfortunate that there isn't a way around that, as the object detect really seemed to do good with bugs and rain at night. Oh well...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will give that a go. It's unfortunate that there isn't a way around that, as the object detect really seemed to do good with bugs and rain at night. Oh well...
Honestly, while it helped for the rain, you were likely missing LOTS of actual motion events...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is true. Fortunately I have a lot of overlap, so inevitably at least one camera catches everything. It does explain why only 1 out of 3 sometimes trigger. Guess I'll just have to buy more hard drives since more recordings = more storage...

40th Floor

n3wb
Reaction score
Detection by line crossing or field intrusion event is the way to go if you have a Hik. Too bad it's an either/or for those two events.

You get two separate and distinct lines to cross, though, so that can make up for it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I do have Hik, but the eye-ball style (ds-2cd3332-i) doesn't trigger the alarm bit like the indoor (PIR) version. Thus, I can't use the camera's internal MD functionality to trigger BI.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have Hik, but the eye-ball style (ds-2cd3332-i) doesn't trigger the alarm bit like the indoor (PIR) version. Thus, I can't use the camera's internal MD functionality to trigger BI.
^^^This.

I am ready for BI to include line crossing in the software end so we can once and for good stop messing with two instanstances of a single camera in BI (one for record and another for motion alert). I really hope Ken adds this feature sooner rather than later.