Mixed LTS and HIK equipment

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I read, it is ok to mix LTS and hikvision cameras/NVR because LTS is rebranded hikvision. My plan is to build a BI server and get one or two cameras to start learning on. I want to have a back out plan in case I have trouble with BI. I'm really nervous about the reliability of a windows machine based on prior experiences, but I'm willing to take a chance. Worst case, I can find a use for an Optiplex 5040 and fall back on an NVR.

From what I've read, LTS is a great way to get supported Hikvision cameras in the US and is cost effective. I would like to get one or two cameras to start, but I don't know the best way to procure LTS and I'd like to get my project started. If I buy one or two Hikvision cameras on Amazon, learn on them, buy the rest from LTS, and have to fall back on an NVR, will it all work together? Like I said above, the research I've done says it will but I would like to tap into the experience of others as well.

I asked @milkisbad for a few options, but didn't have enough posts to PM him and posted in his "Best way to purchase IP" thread and have not heard back. Granted, that was just yesterday, so I'm not faulting anyone. That thread seems to be flooded with catalog requests from people with only one post, so I'm sure he is overwhelmed via that channel. @milkisbad, is PM the best way to reach you and would you be open to selling one or two cameras vs. a full buildout?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think LTS is a little bit more than just rebranded Hikvision, but yes they use Hikvision protocol as they are Hikvision OEM, so if you are USA I don't know why you would use anything else.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think LTS is a little bit more than just rebranded Hikvision, but yes they use Hikvision protocol as they are Hikvision OEM, so if you are USA I don't know why you would use anything else.
Thanks, that is good to know. I may be using the "rebranding" term too loosely.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, that is good to know. I may be using the "rebranding" term too loosely.
Yeah by that I mean it's not just Hikvision with LTS stuck on the side. They do a lot more than that.

Wait for milkisbad to get back to you. You won't regret it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why you are afraid of windows machines...I have 20+ machines running BI with no issues. I have many more in office environments with no issues. The issues with windows is caused by end users installing malware or crap on their systems.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm basing my windows opinions on prior experiences as a systems administrator. To be fair, it's been years since I managed windows servers and my last windows desktop was based on early win7. Most of my recent experience is with linux servers and my desktops are ubuntu and a couple Mac's. My job gave me the option of a mac when my last windows laptop died and the MSFT option was win8 which in my opinion was AWFUL. I chose the mac, and it rocked my world. With linux, what you see is what you get. I always know what is going on under the covers, and if something is acting poorly, there is transparency under the hood. I never felt windows gave me that transparency, so when an issue came up, I felt like I was chasing my tail. Mac is less transparent, but the darn thing just works - there is no other way to describe it. I'm considering BI on windows because of folks like you on this forum, and I like the idea of a software solution. I feel that they are more nimble and robust vs. firmware on special purpose hardware. I also tried zoneminder and motioneye, and they may be robust, but their development are not nearly as active as BI.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - I forgot to add that this thread is about a backup option which I believe you should always have in every project. I can't see why BI won't work for my needs, but if it does not, I don't want to waste my money if I have to go to a vendor specific NVR solution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - I forgot to add that this thread is about a backup option which I believe you should always have in every project. I can't see why BI won't work for my needs, but if it does not, I don't want to waste my money if I have to go to a vendor specific NVR solution.
If you dont like blue iris there are other vms solutions all much better than any nvr box. There is no reason why it wont work...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@rotorwash, check out BlueCherry

my attitude is much like yours, in the end I went for hardware NVR, I come from the KISS school.. record 24/7 and use motion only for flagging timelines and managing clipsizes.. dont need much computing power to achieve that.